Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Quantum Superloader 3 not missing after software update

Created: 09 Jul 2014 • Updated: 27 Aug 2014 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I've been running a quantum superloader 3 SCSI tape library with an LTO4 Ultrium tape drive for about 4 years now. This is connected to a Win2008 x32 Server and utilizes BU Exec 2010 to run backup jobs 6 out of 7 days. Recently, I began recieving autoloader errors which I have not been able to sort out. It all started with a Type 46, followed by multiple Type 43s.

Drv Prev Removal
Type (46)
2014-Jun-20
03:06:20.710    #003

Invalid Media
Type (43)
2014-Jun-20
13:13:38.455    #004

Invalid Media
Type (43)
2014-Jun-21
03:01:01.655    #005

Invalid Media
Type (43)
2014-Jun-24
03:01:05.101    #006

Invalid Media
Type (43)
2014-Jun-26
08:50:18.687    #007

Invalid Media
Type (43)
2014-Jun-26
09:06:43.954    #008

I tried rebooting both the autoloader and the server.
I tried reseating all the scsi cables, cards and terminator.
I updated the autoloader and drive software to the latest versions (V91.0 and B63Z).
I tried to remove the autoloader and tape drive in an effort to reestablish a valid connection but BU Exec would not let me move any of the 70 defined jobs to another device (I have two other stand alone tape drives mounted).
So, in order to get around that, I uninstalled and reinstalled BU Exec.

That's when the autoloader went missing entirely. I can see the tape drive but the autoloader does not register either in BU Exec or in list of Windows devices under Medium Changers.

I read a few posts that talked about deleting quantum drivers but I did not see the particular files they referenced in ../system32/ or ../system32/drivers/

When I ran the BU Exec Pre-installation tool it found the three tape drives (two stand alones, one in autoloader) and indicated they were ok but also said a QUANTUM UHDL 0075 was either not currently attached or not curretly working. I believe this is the autoloader.

Somehow the server still has some vestiges of the initial setup and won't let go to clear the way for a clean install?

Do I need to backup the autoloader software version? Is there some other trick to jolt this thing back to life?

-Thanks

Operating Systems:

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Larry Fine's picture

Does the loader show up during the SCSI card POST process?  If it does, then you can focus on windows issues.  If it doesn't, then focus on hardware or cable issues.

How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library (autoloader/changer) and/or Tape Drive(s).

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24414

If you find this is a solution for the thread, please mark it as such.

steve_williams@ncsu.edu's picture

Well I got the autoloader to show up by moving the SCSI ID for the tape drive from 5 & 6 to 8. Now the autoloader shows with the current firmware number. However, the previous autoloader/firmware combination still shows up in the Pre-installation tool as an offline autoloader. Somewhere there's a record of it in Windows - I'm guess in the registry but I'm reluctant to go rooting around in there.

SOLUTION
Larry Fine's picture

Old hardware stuff in the pre-install checker isn't generally a problem.  Make sure you have rebooted the server so the registry is up to date.  Once BE is installed, you can run tapeinst.exe with the option "delete entries for tape devices that are unavailable, removed, or turned off" checked.

If you find this is a solution for the thread, please mark it as such.