Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Query On Backup Exec 2010/2012 Installation

Created: 11 Jan 2014 • Updated: 15 Jan 2014 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Environment:

4 Windows clients to be back up using Filesystem agents ( including the Backup Exec media server )

1 Backup server with a tape drive attached to it

Scenario:

I am planning to upgrade my existing Backup exec environment from Backup exec 2010 to Backup Exec 2012.  I have 4 clients. Prior to the upgrade, the Backup Exec 2010 server will be rebuilt.  I have a couple of questions:

1.  Will it provide significant benefit if I separate the Backup exec installation from the SQL DB installation?

2.  If the answer is YES on question 1,  will it provide additional benefit if I recreate the LUN where the SQL DB resides with a stripe size of 64k with RAID 5?  This will align to Microsoft best practices on the stripe size.

3. What would be the size of the SQL DB LUN for this kind of setup?

Considering that the environment is very tiny I am more inclined in doing a default installation. 

Any suggestions or help is appreciated

Considering that the environment

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

If the SQL DB that you are referring to is the BEDB, then there is no benefit to having it on another machine.  If fact, it is a disadvantage when you are at a DR site with nothing running.  Having the default BEDB on the media server means that when you recover the media server, you can start restoring the rest.  If the BEDB is on aother machine then you need to recover that machine before you can start BE to restore the rest of the server.  It becomes a chicken and an egg situation.  You need BE to restore the other machine and BE cannot be up until the other machine is up.

Why do you want to rebuild your BE 2010 before the upgrade?   Since BE 2012 is very different from BE 2010, you might as well start with a fresh installation of BE 2012 and recreate your jobs.  Read my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/p...

shudawuda's picture

sorry. I was not that clear with my description.  The SQL DB and Backup Exec are still on the same server but on a different LUN.  Sort of a custom install.  A couple of questions upgrading to Backup Exec 2012:

1. Will I be able to restore my Backup Exec 2010 backups using the upgraded Backup Exec 2012 software?

2.  Will the Backup Exec 2012 software preserve my old backup history?

3.Will it preserve the media set groups defined in the old Backup Exec 2010?

pkh's picture

Yes to all your questions.

There is no requirement as to the RAID configuration that you can use for the BEDB. You can use what you proposed. The max size for the BEDB is 4GB, give it a bit more space

SOLUTION