Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Question about SSR2013 on W8 and what it copies/restores?

Created: 30 Mar 2013 • Updated: 13 Apr 2013 | 15 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I have a fairly ODD problem and I can't figure out HOW to handle it?

In a nutshell, it appears I have a disk partition problem?

------------------

The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.
Windows has checked the file system and found problems.
Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair.

------------------

I have not found ANY utility that will shed ANY light on this 'problem'. Running with the /SCAN option gets me into an infinite loop that is hard to break out of? Essentially as I recall the /SCAN ends with a different error, something about the boot area, and then starts a reboot and does a CHKDSK, fails and bounces off to a TROUBLESHOOTER that scans, says it found an error and then almost immediately reboots. Then the CHKDSK runs again and the cycle repeats... when I do break into it, I get the choice of going to W8 which starts the cycle, or doing a REFRESH or REPLACE I recall... the ONLY way out was to RESTORE my SSR2013 image.

One time I did do a REFRESH of W8 and when it booted ran CHKDSK and it was OK? Great, I'll restore the image, but the problem returned.

I *assume* then the BOOT SECTOR is part of the image? Is there a way to IMAGE without it? I didn't see any option for this?

I have tried BOOTREC and FIXBOOT and other things that are supposed to rebuild the MBR, but none fixes the problem, well, not really a problem. A disk that boots to the W7 environment runs CHKDSK on the drive OK? I might even be looking at a W8 CHKDSK problem for all I know? The system does appear to work correctly though except for a few Metro apps that fail? However others have that problem as well.

So is there a way just to image the actually data and not the MBR and/or just restore the data and not the MBR?

Irv S.

Operating Systems:

Comments 15 CommentsJump to latest comment

Markus Koestler's picture

Since SSR does a block level backup of the drive you backup everything. Whicht options did you select when restoring the volume regarding restoring mbr, activating the drive etc. ?

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s) ***

IrvS's picture

Setting the drive ACTIVE is the ONLY option it seems that is checked. See screen capture.

Capture.jpg

Hm if you uncheck this and create the bootrecord by hand afterwards ?

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s) ***

IrvS's picture

Well, I thought that is what BOOTREC and FIXMBR would do?

Did this --> http://windows8themes.org/using-bootrec-exe-to-fix-mbr-in-windows-8-master-boot-record.html

That didn't help at all, problem was still there? It would have been re-built even if I restored it bad it would seem? I'm wondering if I'm looking at a W8 CHKDSK problem?

IrvS's picture

I figured that BOOTREC would do that, even if I had restored a problem, but it didn't?

See --> http://windows8themes.org/using-bootrec-exe-to-fix-mbr-in-windows-8-master-boot-record.html

Do I need to try it unchecked and then use BOOTREC or is there another way?

MBRCHECK program shows this :

=======================

MBRCheck, version 1.2.3
(c) 2010, AD

Command-line:
Windows Version:
Windows Information:             (build 9200), 64-bit
Base Board Manufacturer:        DELL Inc.
BIOS Manufacturer:              DELL INC.
System Manufacturer:            DELL Inc.
System Product Name:            Studio XPS 435T/9000
Logical Drives Mask:            0x00800ffc

\\.\C: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive0 at offset 0x00000000`00100000  (NTFS)
\\.\D: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive2 at offset 0x00000000`04700000  (NTFS)
\\.\K: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive2 at offset 0x0000002e`aae00000  (NTFS)
\\.\L: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive1 at offset 0x00000000`00100000  (NTFS)
\\.\X: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive2 at offset 0x00000003`c4700000  (NTFS)

Size  Device Name          MBR Status
  --------------------------------------------
    107 GB  \\.\PhysicalDrive0   Windows 7 MBR code detected
            SHA1: 4379A3D43019B46FA357F7DD6A53B45A3CA8FB79
    698 GB  \\.\PhysicalDrive2   Windows 7 MBR code detected
    931 GB  \\.\PhysicalDrive1   Windows 98 MBR code detected
            SHA1: 48F01D7E76A0F3C038D08611E3FDC0EE4EF9FD3E

=========

C: is the SSD, D:, K:, and X: are on the 750GB drive and X: is the OLD W7 boot drive. The L: is a 1TB used for SSR backups and some 'junk'.

DISKPART output :

==============

DISKPART> lis vol

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
  ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------
  Volume 0     E                       DVD-ROM         0 B  No Media
  Volume 1     F                       DVD-ROM         0 B  No Media
  Volume 2     C   OS           NTFS   Partition    107 GB  Healthy    System
  Volume 3     L   Drive_L      NTFS   Partition    931 GB  Healthy    Pagefile
  Volume 4     D   RECOVERY     NTFS   Partition     15 GB  Healthy
  Volume 5     X   OS           NTFS   Partition    171 GB  Healthy
  Volume 6     K   Drive_K      NTFS   Partition    511 GB  Healthy

DISKPART> sel disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list part

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Primary            107 GB  1024 KB

DISKPART> sel par 1

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> det par

Partition 1
Type  : 07
Hidden: No
Active: Yes
Offset in Bytes: 1048576

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
  ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------
* Volume 2     C   OS           NTFS   Partition    107 GB  Healthy    System

DISKPART> det vol

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
* Disk 0    Online          107 GB  2048 KB

Read-only              : No
Hidden                 : No
No Default Drive Letter: No
Shadow Copy            : No
Offline                : No
BitLocker Encrypted    : No
Installable            : Yes

Volume Capacity        :  107 GB
Volume Free Space      :   46 GB

=================

I can't see anything wrong with the partition or drive?

IrvS's picture

Looks like I can NOT put a link in the reply?

I used BOOTREC /FIXMBR which is 'supposed' to repair and rebuild the MBR. no help?

Used MBRCHECK that might not be W8 aware and get this :

K:\Inet DL>mbrcheck
MBRCheck, version 1.2.3
(c) 2010, AD

Command-line:
Windows Version:
Windows Information:             (build 9200), 64-bit
Base Board Manufacturer:        DELL Inc.
BIOS Manufacturer:              DELL INC.
System Manufacturer:            DELL Inc.
System Product Name:            Studio XPS 435T/9000
Logical Drives Mask:            0x00800ffc

\\.\C: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive0 at offset 0x00000000`00100000  (NTFS)
\\.\D: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive2 at offset 0x00000000`04700000  (NTFS)
\\.\K: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive2 at offset 0x0000002e`aae00000  (NTFS)
\\.\L: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive1 at offset 0x00000000`00100000  (NTFS)
\\.\X: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive2 at offset 0x00000003`c4700000  (NTFS)

Size  Device Name          MBR Status
  --------------------------------------------
    107 GB  \\.\PhysicalDrive0   Windows 7 MBR code detected
    698 GB  \\.\PhysicalDrive2   Windows 7 MBR code detected
    931 GB  \\.\PhysicalDrive1   Windows 98 MBR code detected
            SHA1: 48F01D7E76A0F3C038D08611E3FDC0EE4EF9FD3E

I can't see anything wrong? DISKPART also appears to indicate no problems?

Hm, let me escalate this to support for you.

IrvS's picture

"Hm, let me escalate this to support for you."

Thanks.

Does that mean it should NOT be overwriting the MBR or that it shouldn't have saved it too? Just curious?

Dave_H's picture

The screenshot you show is from the "custom recovery" options from the windows program, not the recovery disk.

It also shows you tying to recover the image into a target partition "C" that has already been created.

Since you cannot restore the operating system partition from within windows I assume you are really in windows 7 and that is where you have SSR 2013 installed?

An MBR becomes irrelevant in windows because when windows is used to create a partition it goes ahead and writes an MBR to the drive.  I'm pretty sure thats why you don't get that option while using the program inside the operating system.

Is that what your doing, trying to recover a second OS from the within first?

If so, do you know what partition contains the boot files and should be active?

A screen shot of disk management while in either windows would be helpful.

Dave

IrvS's picture

Dave,

==========================

An MBR becomes irrelevant in windows because when windows is used to create a partition it goes ahead and writes an MBR to the drive.  I'm pretty sure thats why you don't get that option while using the program inside the operating system.

Is that what your doing, trying to recover a second OS from the within first?

If so, do you know what partition contains the boot files and should be active?

A screen shot of disk management while in either windows would be helpful.

===========================

No, not correct. I am running W8 and have SSR2013 installed in the same C: drive as the OS.

Attached is the DISK MANAGEMENT display.

This computer started life 4 years ago as a single 750GB drive with Vista on it. It was a large C: and one D: used for Dell's Recovery partition. Immediatly I install Ghost 14 and added a 1TB drive for back-ups as K:. I also shrunk the C: partition down to about 150GB's and created a 500GB L: for DATA and PROGRAMS. Some programs did install only to C: and a few I wanted to have available immediately if I did a back-up were on C:, knowing full well that some programs that would be put onto L: would also put data on the C: in the Registry and the USERS sub-folders.

About 1 year ago I installed a 115GB SSD and put C: on it and changed the original C: to X: which I can change boot to if need be by changing my BIOS setting or using F12 to get to a boot menu.

When W7 shipped I immediately updated C: to W7.

In Dec. I installed W8 over W7 via the UPGRADE path.

When W8 was installed everything worked fine. Within a few weeks, some Live Tiles longer worked. I had Ghost 15 on which I updated too when I installed W7, but it was too late that I discovered the problem to go back. I lived with it as these are not of much value to me.

Then a few weeks ago I discovered the CHKDSK problem. I tried everything I could think of to solve the problem or more correctly show what the problem was. I can't seem to determine what that real error is/was. If I boot to W7 or a W7 PE, CHKDSK on C: doesn't produce an error.

So I did a C: backup and did a W8 refresh... and after that, checked the Live Tiles, they work fine. I ran CHKDSK C: /SCAN and it found NO errors... OK, I'll use SSR and put back my last image. CHKDSK again gave the same error. So I assumed the MBR was re-written?

So to make sure you understand :

C: W8 OS and some programs.

D: Dell's Vista Restore drive (waste of space, but I don't need it)

E: and F:, DVD drives.

G: to J:, media slots on computer

K: Data drive

L: SSR back-up drive

X: Old C: (W7)

Additionally there is the Dell Tools on a hidden partition on the old original drive.

Hope this helps, but I am trying to replace the C: W8 partition with an image of itself just taken after I did a REFRESH of W8 on C:. Hoping that would solve the MBR problem, but it hasn't.

Capture.jpg
Dave_H's picture

Thanks for that information, I was assuming you had SSR installed in windows 7 and windows 8 was not the first partition.

If you have SSR installed in Windows 8, then you have to use the recovery disk to do the restore.

You can't restore the operating system partition from within that operating system.  That screenshot you posted on April 1'st shows the custom recovery screen when your restoring a partition from the program inside windows.  (unless you took a screenshot of that because it was easy to make).

The options are different on the recovery disk, I attached a screenshot below.

After you select the image file, on the next screen click the "edit" button and you will see the same screen I attached.

Use these options for the recovery:

Verify recovery point before restore
Partition type : Primary
Check for file system errors after recovery
Set drive active (for booting OS)
Restore original disk signature
Restore master boot record

You'll notice you do indeed have the option for MBR on the recovery disk.

Dave

srp recovery2.jpg
IrvS's picture

Dave, this morning I decided to check the setting using the Recovery DVD. By default, ONLY the Set Drive Active was checked and Restore Original Disk Signature was grayed out.

How ever I decided to try the TOOLS. Since this is a W8 PE, it should run the W8 CHKDSK. It did. First I didn't allow it to check the FIX ERRORS. Ran it and got the 'error in Volume Bitmap'. Since I had an image I then turned that on. It ran for a long time and eventually said it was OK and fixed. There was FREE SPACE that was ALLOCATED it reported as the error it fixed. Boot C: into W8 and ran CHKDSK, it now reports OK.

I guess I need to read the manual to discover how those check boxes work., but for now, I'm OK!!!

Thanks, without out you I'd probably never had tried this.

SOLVED. Although I don't know how the damage occurred? Wondering if it was the FLASH (older one) on the SSD? Might not have been though. W7's CHKDSK thought the drive was OK, so maybe fixes/changes to the CHKDSK for W8 found errors W7 would not and it happened a long time ago.

IrvS's picture

Dave, yes, I took the snapshot from the OS operating as it was easy to do.

I think I did do it the way you said, but I know I didn't check verify the recovery point.

Question on the last 2 restores. Isn't that from the image? If it is, then it would just put down the problematic one, no? If not, then I shouldn't have had the problem of CHKDSK after the restore?

What I want to do is image the existing C: with the 'prob'lem' CHKDSK that sort of indicates that the problem is in the boot record, then REFRESH W8 which cleared the CHKDSK problem, and again, assuming the problem is within the boot record, restore just the partition itself, not the boot record/MBR.

SOLUTION