Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Questions about SBE 12.1.5

Posted Apr 18, 2016 03:39 AM

Hi There!

I have some questions about Endpoint 12.1.5

1) We have had issues in the past with the Hard Disks on the Server filling up with Gigabytes and Gigabytes of data related to Endpoint Security. Do the latest builds now fix that issue? From what version onward would that solution be?

2) We have had a LOT of issues with Symantec detecting the connection from the Domain Controllers on our sites as a threat and kicking the endpoint off the DC for 10 minutes at a time. I believe this is related to Intrusion Protection. Is this now fixed, or is the correct solution to still disable this via the policy, or is there a way to make a package that doesn't contain this component? If so, how?

3) In the past we have not been able to, from the SEPM console, remove older versions from the PC's and reinstall the latest version. Is this now resolved?

4) I am not clear about the future of the Endpoint Protection product as it relates to 5-50 user companies who want to remain on premise? Is it that Endpoint SBE 2013 is essentially 12.1.5RU rebranded? I need some plain english explanation because all I can find is marketing claptrap! Even Symantec seem unclear!

5) Is there a reliable way to detect Ransomware at the gateway to the network? We found Symantec (and to be fair other providers) to be pretty poor in their detection rates of this threat type.

6) I am trying to find some self paced video training to use to become familiar with best practices, deployment and administration again as it's been quite a while. It seems like since the split, we can't find the training stuff on partnernet any longer. 

• 2.  RE: Questions about SBE 12.1.5

Posted Apr 18, 2016 03:40 AM

I'd also like to know what the version latest version is please.

• 3.  RE: Questions about SBE 12.1.5

Posted Apr 18, 2016 09:17 AM

SEP SBE is end of life so you when you want to upgrade you need to move on to SEP.cloud hosted or on-prem, here are a couple articles on it:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/announcing-end-life-symantec-endpoint-protection-small-business-edition-121

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC8217

eLibrary has free training, although I don't see anythign specific to this version:

https://www.symantec.com/content/elibrary/selibrary.html

• 4.  RE: Questions about SBE 12.1.5

Posted Apr 20, 2016 07:48 PM

Hi Brian, 

As I understand it, SEP SBE 12.1 is EOL and it's been replaced with an identical named product (WHY!?!??!?!) which is essentially the same exact product with the same interface?

• 5.  RE: Questions about SBE 12.1.5

Posted Apr 20, 2016 08:15 PM

SEP SBE 12.x is EOL

Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition is the replacement product (aka SEP.cloud) offers both a managed or on-prem solution.

Both are different products that do not look the same.

• 6.  RE: Questions about SBE 12.1.5

Posted Apr 21, 2016 10:25 PM

The cloud portions look the same, but the on-premise software is the same as best I can tell? Is that not correct?

• 7.  RE: Questions about SBE 12.1.5

Posted Apr 21, 2016 10:46 PM

I'm running the cloud version and it looks nothing like SBE 12.1.5 so I'm not sure where you're seeing it?

• 8.  RE: Questions about SBE 12.1.5

Posted Apr 21, 2016 10:50 PM

Because I am running the ON-PREMISE software.

• 9.  RE: Questions about SBE 12.1.5

Posted Apr 26, 2016 09:10 AM

4) I am not clear about the future of the Endpoint Protection product as it relates to 5-50 user companies who want to remain on premise?

Symantec's intention for that SMB space (5-50) is going to be directed to the cloud-based product.  They fully acknowledge that there are some sites that will be constrained from going that route; therefore, they have provided the on-premise version (SEP SBE 12.1.5).  However, that - as Brian stated earlier - is EOL, so it is effectively a dead end.

Is it that Endpoint SBE 2013 is essentially 12.1.5RU rebranded?

No it is not. Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition 2013 is a cloud-based product, not an on premise console-based product.  The truth is, it is more of a Norton (consumer-version) resurfacing than an SBE 12.1.5 rebranding.

If you want to retain an on-premise version of Endpoint Protection that will obtain future updates, you would have to upgrade to the Enterprise Edition.  This is an expensive form of overkill for that 5-50 user SMB space.

Hope that helps!