Video Screencast Help

Raid drivers and system recovery server 2011

Created: 18 Jan 2013 | 15 comments

Here is my issue, I have been deploying the symantec recovery server 2011 solution at several sites. I am having an issue with testing it in my lab and it has me worried for the currently deployed locations. The box is a Dell poweredge t420 and is running a raid card. The software images the server fine. When I have tried to image the identical box right next to it (testing a bare metal restore situation) I am unable to see the raid drivers. I went downloaded the proper file and load the .inf file, I am still not able to recover the entire server. This has me a bit worried.

Comments 15 CommentsJump to latest comment

Chris Riley's picture

If you cannot see the disks from within the recovery environment (SRD), you need to load the relevant driver.

As the SRD is based on WinPE 2.1, the driver needs to be 32bit and compatible with Vista/Windows 2008.

Hope that helps.

toddinrochester's picture

I load the .inf file once I am in the GUI and it still wont see the raid array. The SRD is the basic iso that I download from the link that is being used as our restore CD. Am I builing the SRD improperly? Also I shoud note that I am backing the server with the solution to an external drive.

Chris Riley's picture

My guess is that you have the wrong driver.

Can you confirm where you downloaded the driver from (i.e. provide the download link)?

Chris, I am going to make a fresh image, I have the driver you specified on a thumb drive and will be attempting a recovery now.

I just want to clarify when and where I use this driver in restoring the image. Its using the utilities option on the console where I can "load driver"?

Chris Riley's picture

Before starting the restore (you obviously cannot restore if you cannot see the disk), go to the utilities tab and use the load a driver option.

Will do, starting shorlty. Thanks for being so responsive.

So far, I am now able to see the raid array, I believe I did not make it bootable on the recovery as I end up at the "no bootable devices" screen...

Chris Riley's picture

So the original problem is fixed now then?

You need to set the relevant partition as active otherwise it wont boot properly.

The original issue has been resolved and now I am simply dealing with the booting.

The issue is completely resolved. Thanks for all your help.

Chris Riley's picture

Great stuff. Please mark the thread as solved then.