random tape selection on Backup Exec 2010
As I could not find a solution via the search option, I try it this way, now. Hoping anybody can help me!
We are using Backup Exec 2010 R3 on a Windows 2008 R2 Server with two different Tape Libraries in 2 Locations (Dell PV124t and Dell TL2000)
The Backup Jobs are created as follows:
- Differential Backups on a daily basis, Monday to Thursday (Backup on Tape)
- Full Backups on a weekly basis, at the weekend (Backup on Tape)
- VM Backups on a monthly basis, last weekend of month (Backup to Disc, then copied to tape)
We also created Backupsets for the four different kind of Jobs:
- Daily Diff Backup on Tape
- Weekly Full Backup on Tape
- Monthly VM Backup to Disc
- Monthly VM Backup on Tape
Tapes for Full and VM Backup are changed after the backup jobs are completed each week and the newly inserted tapes get deleted before the next backup will run. So they are definitely empty and overwritable.
The Tapes in the Library have dedicated slots for each type of backup:
- tapes in Slot 1,2,3 are assigned to weekly Full Backup Set
- tapes in Slot 4,5,6 to monthly VM Backup Set
- tapes in Slot 7,8,9 to daily Diff Backup Set
Since some weeks, we keep experiencing problems with the selection of the Tapes. For Example, last weekend the full backup was written on a tape in slot 1 (which is correct) and slot 7 (which was planned for differential backup). Tapes in Slot 2 and 3 were still empty. It’s the same on the other library which is managed by the same Backup Exec 2010 Server.
Anybody there, having an idea, what this is caused by?