Video Screencast Help

Randomize scan in SEP 12.1

Created: 19 Oct 2012 | 5 comments

We run scheduled full scan on 11 VMs. Start time is 00:30AM on Oct 16 and Oct 18, and set Scan for up to 7 hours.

Q: with Randomize scan start time within this period  option enabled, how long is the time interval ? What is the scheduled scan window? Is it 00:30 + 7 hs = 7:30AM ? or Randomized scan start time + 7 hours ?

According to the scan result, one VM scan completed at 9:16AM.

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

You can randomize scheduled scans to improve performance on Windows client computers. Randomization is important in virtualized environments.

For example, you might schedule scans to run at 8:00PM. If you select a 4-hour time interval. scans on client computers start at a randomized time between 8:00PM and 12:00AM.

Reference article:

Randomizing scans to improve computer performance in virtualized environments

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55262

So according to this example your scheduled scan can start anytime between 00:30AM  to 7:30 AM

Chetan Savade
Technical Support Engineer, Endpoint Security
Enterprise Technical Support
CCNA | CCNP | MCSE | SCTS |

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

SymQNA's picture

Hi Chetan, thank you for your reply. But you did not answer my question. I have read lots of Symantec article before I posted my question, including the message you copied and pasted.

I understood the scheduled scan can start anytime between 00:30~7:30Am. But my questions is, if a randomized scan is started at 2:30AM, when will it be ended? 2:30 + 7 hrs = 9:30AM ? Obviously , in our test environment, there is a VM started at 5:33AM, but completed at 9:16AM, with "Scan Suspend" status.

Thank you.

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

The scheduled scan can start anytime between 00:30~7:30Am. But my questions is, if a randomized scan is started at 2:30AM, when will it be ended?

--> That's correct scan will start between 00:30AM to 7:30AM, if scan for upto next 7 hours is selected then if scan is started at 2:30AM then it can run till 2:30+7:00=9:30.

Chetan Savade
Technical Support Engineer, Endpoint Security
Enterprise Technical Support
CCNA | CCNP | MCSE | SCTS |

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<