Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

RDX 1000 fldr moved to different media set - need to move back to "Backup Exec and Windows NT Media"?

Created: 24 Jul 2013 | 4 comments

I was moving some things around deleting old jobs,catalogs, media sets and at some point was prompted relocate the media because they had to be moved.before whatever object I was trying to delete could be deleted.

The folders fldr00000011, 12, 13 and 14 are stuck in custom set, "RDX1000 Media Set 1".

This thread says RDX1000 fldr00000 folders cannot be moved and are placed in "Backup Exec and Windows NT Media"  http://www.symantec.com/connect/pt-br/forums/backup-exec-2012-rdx-cannot-move-scratch

How can I move them to "Backup Exec Windows and NT Media" where they are supposed to be, by default?

Muchos Gracios, Ricardo

Operating Systems:

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

I don't think this is important as the FLDR things are not overwritten.  The important things are the .bkf files and the .img folder in them.  These should be in their proper media sets.

MusSeth's picture

Are .bkf nd imgs showing up with right media set...if it is than as pkh there is no issue

Colin Weaver's picture

We have seen most of the time RDX media cartridges will be displayed as object in the NT backup set but in some environments (currently SBS servers, although there may be others) then they can appear in other media sets.

However, wherever they appear leave them where they are and ignore them as they have no effect on the backup or media overwrite handling (it is  the IMG an BKF media within the RDX cartridge) not the FLDR media that actually get managed for overwrites)

I believe in the next full version of Backup Exec we will not be exposing the media set of the FLDR media avoiding this confusion.

RickkeeC's picture

Yes.  It is working.  The concern is that this cost me 20 hours of my life to update, patch with hotfix, search forums to find out there is no solution.  We paid $689 for the software and another $679 for the agent, almost $1400 for software to backup two servers.  Its broken, its been broken, two years should be enough time for Sym to fix it, yet the only thing "fixed" is the ability to delete media, and thats a hotfix, after SP1.  Its another $600 a year to keep the maintenance contract active and SYM ain't gonna do nothing but hid the flaw.   "Around and around she goes, where BE2012 will store or hide your media, nobody knows"

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH191711

"Symantec Corporation has acknowledged that the above-mentioned issue is present in the current version(s) of the product(s) mentioned at the end of this article. Symantec Corporation is committed to product quality and satisfied customers.
There are currently no plans to address this issue by way of a patch or hotfix in the current or previous versions of the software at the present time. This issue may be resolved in a future major revision of the software at a later time. However, this particular issue is not currently scheduled for any release.  If you feel this issue has a direct business impact for you and your continued use of the product, please contact your Symantec Sales representative or the Symantec Sales group to discuss these concerns.  For information on how to contact Symantec Sales, please see
www.symantec.com "

Yes. I would love to give the sales department an ear-full because its obvious support doesn't want to hear it.  "we're commited to product quality............but we ain't gonna do nothing about this, so piss and talk to your sales rep if you don't like it"  No thanks.  I will vote in the future by choosing other software.

I've been in IT for 25 years, and used the software since the company was Maynard / Conner backup. Five years ago I moved 150 servers from BE to Windows Server backup and never looked back.  Now my client insists I use his Symantec and I've had to look at this for over 25 hours to try to fix or work arouond software that has serious flaws.  Its bad enough to have to wrap your head around the convoluted reasoning for jobs, media sets, vaults and retention periods, only to find they are "not important, do not work and just ignore how BE catalogs your stuff"

Just look at this one of you are not already aware:
- Redirected restore of an Exchange 2010 database to a Recovery Database, overwrites the original database ignoring the redirect settings.(TECH206240)

Egads!  This should be a five star alarm with emails and certified letters and phone calls made to clients to warn of the impending doom that will occur if you try to install a recovery database.  I can only imagine the number of poor souls that lost thier job because of learning about this flaw the hard way and had to give up 20 hours of their life to attempt to restore exchange from log files that BE overwrote.  This is a hotfix!  You will never know about it unless you overwrite your production Exchange database and then its too late.

The product was purchased two years ago, is a year out of maintenance contract and Symantec says to purchase it again for support because it has lapsed.  I don't think so.  Giving up on this blowtware five years ago was the right solution. 

Kudos to the support team.  They do give great support, are knowledgeable and helpful.  Its a pitty they have to work with software that is has so many problems.  The support in this forum is excellent.  Thanks so much to the volunteers who are taking the time to do the work to mop up around poor engineering and design decisions.   This software has been patch,patch,patch since Y2K or earlier.  Maybe a rewrite is in order and just start from scratch.