Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Really messed up Win 8.1 install of SEP 12.1.1000.157

Posted Dec 21, 2014 03:16 PM

Hello forum,

I was troubleshooting a malware/spyware on this Win 8.1 x64 laptop and thought i was installing the correct version, but something went wrong and looking at SYMEVENT log, it appears I used the x86 version.  The install finished as far as i could tell..Live Update ran, started to do its initial stuff...i ended up rebooting...and upon doing so, everytime i attempt to start SEP, I get the Windows generic error about program compatibility---and SEP fails to start.  Here a list of what I've done to try and resolve this....

• Enabled to built in Admin account, as the user acct that initially installed SEP was a standard user, tried to repair, remove, change....always the same result, the installer gets to about 90% and rolls back.  It ends with the error about fatal installation errors, i believe.
    • Ran SymHelp, but it didnt point to anything specific....2 red issues, a few yellow, a few green....I would have to run again and save the log. 
    • Tried manually starting, stoping, pausing the symantec servcies...figuring the uninstaller cant stop the service gracefully...neither can i
    • Copied my SEP install disc to flash drive and tried repair, modify...same fatal error and roll back of install wizard
    • messed around in start up(msconfig) to attempt to free up the services...the current error message in the systray is "no connection to Smc service"

I've resolved the malware issues and want to remove SEP cleanly from this machine....any thoughts on what i need to do? Win 8 isnt my strong suit :-)

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Really messed up Win 8.1 install of SEP 12.1.1000.157

Posted Dec 29, 2014 01:42 PM

SEP 12.1.1000.157 are not supported windows 8.1.

Windows 8.1 - Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.4 (RU4) and

SEP 12.1.4 are fist version which are supported windows 8.1,You need to install latest SEP 12.1.5.

Windows 8 compatibility with Endpoint Protection 12.1

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=tech174348

• 3.  RE: Really messed up Win 8.1 install of SEP 12.1.1000.157

Posted Dec 29, 2014 01:43 PM

You need to get to 12.1.5. The version you're trying to install is NOT supported (although it will still likely install some of the time but won't fucntion as expected).

See this article here:

Windows 8 compatibility with Endpoint Protection 12.1

Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 compatibility:

• Windows 8 - Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.2 (RU2) and later.
    • Windows 8.1 - Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.4 (RU4) and later.
    • Windows Server 2012 - Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.2 (RU2) and later.

Note: Earlier releases of SEP 12.1 offer support for computers running Windows 7, Windows 2008, Windows Embedded Standard 7 and other operating systems. For full details, read System requirements for Endpoint Protection 12.1.

Additional information