Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Recovering a hard drive using SSR2011 - cold imaging

Created: 11 Oct 2011 | 3 comments
Lance_Williams's picture

Hello All

A hard drive failed in a laptop and I had not yet implemented SSR Desktop on it... I remember reading somewhere that there are cold-imaging capabilities in SSR but can't find any information.

Was I imagining it or can SSR 2011 help me to recover this failed hard drive?

Many thanks

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Chris Riley's picture

Cold imaging = running a backup when the OS is not running.

It sounds like you have not even run a backup? If correct, there is no chance of recovery..

Lance_Williams's picture

Hi Chris

That's right, no backup configured or taken. I was at the Vision conference last week and someone in one of the breakouts mentioned the ability to recover hard drives (without a backup) but I can't, for the life of me, remember how and what product was used. I assumed it was SSR.

When I refer to "cold-imaging" I wasn't referring to the lights-out restore functionality, rather the ability to image a broken computer (server/laptop/desktop) although the last time I heard about this functionality was in BESR 8.5. Is this something that no longer exists in SSR 2011?

"NEW Cold imaging technology enables capture of a system in a pre-boot state without installing any software on the system" - BESR 8.5, Sept 2008.

Chris Riley's picture

Cold imaging is still in the product.

I suppose it really depends on the state of the drive. It may be possible to run a cold backup and then do some form of recovery from that recovery point. Have you tried a cold backup yet?