Recovering a Windows 8 computer with SSR 2013
There are several other threads here about issues with restoring a Windows 8 computer failed hard drive with SSR 2013. I don't want to rehash them, but I have a related question and suggestion.
Given that there are multiple partitions on a Windows 8 computer hard drive other than the primary c: drive, and that I may not or cannot backup ALL of the partitions, or can ONLY backup the c: partition,
How can I restore/recover just the c: partition onto a new/blank hard drive, and get my operational Windows 8 pc working again?
This is not addressed in the SSR 2013 User Guide that I can find, but I think it is a logical question that can often happen when a restore from the System Recovery Disc CD is only able to restore the C: partition.
I think the process "might" be something similar to the following, but I'd like to have this confirmed in a TechNote or other official document (or from someone who has actually successfully done this):
1. Turn off pc
2. Replace failed hard drive with new/blank/unused hard drive.
3. Boot from SSR 2013 SRD CD (do you have to use the 64bit version?)
4. Select Recovery Point for c: drive backup image from external hard drive (or other location where it is stored).
5. Select options to Make partiton active, etc. ??
7. Attempt boot but get boot failure error.
8. Boot from Windows 8 System Repair disk. What options to choose? What if I don't have a Windows 8 SRD?
9. Try again
Perhaps considerations for type of UEFI mode, etc. or other considerations? Will the repaired Windows 8 installation active ok?
This would be a very very helpful guide (with screen shots and arrows etc.) to pro-actively have in advance and included in the manual or TechNote.
I hope someone that has actually and successfully done this can shed some light. Is it possible? If I don't have the OEM, diagnostic, System Reserved Partition(s), etc. and ONLY the c: backup image, can I still get back in business? If so, then I won't worry as much about backing up those related ones.
Thanks for any serious help on this needed Guide.