Video Screencast Help

Recovering a Windows 8 computer with SSR 2013

Created: 17 May 2013 • Updated: 17 May 2013 | 6 comments

There are several other threads here about issues with restoring a Windows 8 computer failed hard drive with SSR 2013.  I don't want to rehash them, but I have a related question and suggestion.

Given that there are multiple partitions on a Windows 8 computer hard drive other than the primary c: drive, and that I may not or cannot backup ALL of the partitions, or can ONLY backup the c: partition,

How can I restore/recover just the c: partition onto a new/blank hard drive, and get my operational Windows 8 pc working again?

This is not addressed in the SSR 2013 User Guide that I can find, but I think it is a logical question that can often happen when a restore from the System Recovery Disc CD is only able to restore the C: partition.

I think the process "might" be something similar to the following, but I'd like to have this confirmed in a TechNote or other official document (or from someone who has actually successfully done this):

1. Turn off pc
2. Replace failed hard drive with new/blank/unused hard drive.
3. Boot from SSR 2013 SRD CD (do you have to use the 64bit version?)
4. Select Recovery Point for c: drive backup image from external hard drive (or other location where it is stored).
5. Select options to Make partiton active, etc. ??
6. Restore
7. Attempt boot but get boot failure error.
8. Boot from Windows 8 System Repair disk.  What options to choose?  What if I don't have a Windows 8 SRD?
9. Try again

Perhaps considerations for type of UEFI mode, etc. or other considerations?  Will the repaired Windows 8 installation active ok?

This would be a very very helpful guide (with screen shots and arrows etc.) to pro-actively have in advance and included in the manual or TechNote.

I hope someone that has actually and successfully done this can shed some light.  Is it possible?  If I don't have the OEM, diagnostic, System Reserved Partition(s), etc. and ONLY the c: backup image, can I still get back in business?  If so, then I won't worry as much about backing up those related ones.

Thanks for any serious help on this needed Guide.

John

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

JohnTech's picture

DStain, thanks.  Those are good instructions if you have a recovery point of ALL the partitions on the Windows 8 hard drive.  But what do you do to restore (and activate) Windows 8 if you don't have the OEM, hidden, EFI system partiition and other system partitions backed up because SSR gets errors trying to image them? 

That's the situation that I (and others) are in.

John

DStain's picture

John,

a good question, if you float this thread on the public Ghost forum BrianK, DaveH or RedK I am sure can answer that.

DaveH does log onto this forum and he may well see this.

All I can tell you is (too late I know) is when you back up with SSR tick the box show hidden files and folders and highlight all partitions on the primary drive and run the backup. I tend to run "One Time Backups" on my multi boot machine.

Just out of interest, have you got the recovery disk that came with the computer, if so recover with that and then do as I suggest.

I also tend to completely clear my drives install the O/S and apps etc. and rely completely on Ghost/SSR to backup my machine.

Deric

Chris Riley's picture

If you only have a backup of C, the machine wont boot I'm afraid.

This is a UEFI machine right? In which case, you need to restore the System Reserved/ESP (EFI System Partition) and make this the active partition to boot from.

Ultimately, the backup issues needs fixing first.

JohnTech's picture

>> If you only have a backup of C, the machine wont boot I'm afraid.

Chris, I know this is theoretical at this point, but with ONLY the c: partition restored, should you be able to boot from Windows 8 Repair Disc (or Windows 8 installation DVD), and then build a new EFI System Partition, make it active and then successfully boot?  I guess there wouldn't be any of the pc drivers or certificate number etc. in the EFI S.P. however, correct?  which would make it difficult/impossible to run.

John

Chris Riley's picture

John,

I have no idea if that is possible to be honest with you. Even if it was, this is not something that we (Symantec) would support.

As I said, the backup issues need to be fixed first.