Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Redirected Virtaul Backup causes error 0xe000957e - Unable to create the new virtual machine

Created: 13 Jun 2013 • Updated: 12 Aug 2013 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I am getting the above error on 9 out of 11 machines, 2 have restored ok, so pretty sure its not a permissions issue on the ESXi Host I am restoring too as 2 have restored ok.

The restores are being redirected to another ESXi Host and Datastore from what they were created on(no I can't restore back to the originals)

There is no ISO mounted on the majority of them and in any case I added the following but still no luck:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\VMware Agent

DWORD (32bit): Ignore devices with attached files

VALUE: 1

Don't think datablock size is an issue on the ESXi datastore as majority of the machines drive are under 100 gb.

Does anyone else have any ideas?  I knwo I can work around this by doing a redirected restore of the VMDK files to local storage, but this will add alto of tiem to the recovery tiem and want to avoid this if possible.

Thanks

Operating Systems:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

What is the version of ESXi that you are using?  I hope it is not ESXi 5.1 because it is not supported.

Sush...'s picture

Hello there,

Is the other ESXi licensed correctly with vSphere Standard License?

Refer to the technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH170047 : Redirected Virtual Machine restore fails with Unable to create the virtual machine

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

LFCNZ's picture

Hi

This is for our customer and it is ESXi5.1, I know it is not officially supported by Symatnec yet, however they have been given the beta patch that is supposed to fix any issues, although as its a beta may not fix all issues!

In regards to licensing, pretty sure it is fine and as two of the machines restored ok, if there was a licensing issue woudl thin kthese woudl not have restored either.

Thanks