Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Registriy issue updating SEE from 7.0.5 to 7.0.6

Posted Jul 12, 2010 08:20 AM
    Hi everyone

After successfully updating the Symantec Endpoint Encryption Management Server from 7.0.5 to 7.0.6 I was trying to update the Framework. However I got the following two registry errors: 
    'Could not write value ProductLicence to key \SOFTWARE\Encryption Anywhere Management Console\Removable Storage' and
    'Could not write value ProductLicence to key \SOFTWARE\Encryption Anywhere Management Console\Hard Disk'.

I tried as Domain Admin and as a local Admin. Even after reboot the same result. When I remove those registry hives, they get created through the setup but the error is still the same. I can 'Ignore' it to finish the setup.

When I then try to install the Full Disk Edition.msi I get the message that the Framework needs to be installed first.

Has anyone encountered this as well? How can I get around this issue?

Thanks and kind regards
    Roland

• 2.  RE: Registriy issue updating SEE from 7.0.5 to 7.0.6

Posted Jul 12, 2010 08:54 AM
    You'll always get the error about Framework being required first until you get the Framework to install successfully. Are you just double clicking on the MSI or are you running with any command lines?

• 3.  RE: Registriy issue updating SEE from 7.0.5 to 7.0.6

Posted Jul 12, 2010 09:53 AM
    I'm aware that the Framework needs to be installed first, that's why I'm trying to do it that way.
    Since 7.0.5 was installed before, I need to install it through command line "msiexec.exe /i msi.file REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus /qb"

• 4.  RE: Registriy issue updating SEE from 7.0.5 to 7.0.6
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 12, 2010 10:37 AM
    You commented on the error from Full Disk so I replied.

I just tried the upgrade and it worked fine. One thing I have noticed though is that the documentation no longer refers to using the msiexec command line for the server installs and when you just launch the MSI from the GUI it notices it exists and asks to upgrade - have you tried without the command line options too?

• 5.  RE: Registriy issue updating SEE from 7.0.5 to 7.0.6

Posted Jul 12, 2010 12:56 PM
    /qb is going to suppress any errors that the installer may give you. Either try it without the /qb, or, as the post below me states, try it via double click instead of command line.

EDIT: I have just confirmed (via my test environment) that unlike previous upgrades the management server upgrade to 7.0.6 DOES NOT require /reinstall=all and /reinstallmode=VOMUS switches.

• 6.  RE: Registriy issue updating SEE from 7.0.5 to 7.0.6

Posted Jul 12, 2010 02:19 PM
    Sounds like what I said...

• 7.  RE: Registriy issue updating SEE from 7.0.5 to 7.0.6

Posted Jul 12, 2010 04:31 PM
    yup, If I could mark your post as the solution, I sure would.

• 8.  RE: Registriy issue updating SEE from 7.0.5 to 7.0.6

Posted Jul 12, 2010 05:28 PM

smiley