Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Reinstalling SEPM 12.1.5 wihtout recovery files

Posted Dec 30, 2015 04:08 AM

Hi,

My server HDD crashed where SEPM 12.1.5 is installed on. I have previously made a database(embedded) backup. I plan to do a fresh installation on the new HDD and my question is:-

Can my clients (100 clients) still communicate back with the new SEPM after i restore the DB? Problem is i did not make a back up on the recovery files, hence the management server will not have any previous configurations.

Please advise.

• 2.  RE: Reinstalling SEPM 12.1.5 wihtout recovery files

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 30, 2015 04:11 AM

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Symantec community.

Only DB restore won't help but it will bring back group structure & policies however clients will reamin offline.

When the client-server communications break, you can quickly restore communications by replacing the Sylink.xml file on the client computer. You can replace the Sylink.xml file by deploying a communication update package. Use this method for a large number of computers, for the computers that you cannot physically access easily, or the computers that require administrative access.

Refer the below articles:

Restoring client-server communications with Communication Update Package Deployment

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO81109

How do I replace the client-server communications file on the client computer?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO81116

• 3.  RE: Reinstalling SEPM 12.1.5 wihtout recovery files

Posted Dec 30, 2015 04:28 AM

The server certificate is one of the key element in the client-server communication. This certificate can be restored using the recovery file or a server certificate backup, whcih I guess you don't have. In this situation, the only option is to update the new certificate (from your new manager with old database) on all the clients. This is done by replacing the existing sylink.xml file on the clients with a new sylink.xml file that you export from the SEPM. To do that you will need to follow the steps provided above by Chetan.

• 4.  RE: Reinstalling SEPM 12.1.5 wihtout recovery files

Posted Dec 30, 2015 08:04 AM

Quickest way in your case is to replace the sylink file:

Why do I need to replace the client-server communications file on the client computer?