Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Remote client deployment - Event 1013 - Please uninstall your legacy Symantec AntiVirus product before installing SEP

Posted Dec 02, 2010 01:43 PM

Hello,

I'm a fairly new administrator of SEPM although I've been working with the 9.x administration console for quite a few years.

I have a good number of clients with SAV 8 & 9 installed on which I'm trying to remotely deploy my SEP client via SEPM.  I've been successful with some clients but the majority of clients SEPM says it successfully deploys the installation to but never shows up in the console.  When I review the event viewer on those clients, I notice the following error:

"Product: Symantec Endpoint Protection -- Please uninstall your legacy Symantec AntiVirus product before installing Symantec Endpoint Protection."

Since my environment is mostly made up of computers that have SAV 8, 9 & 10 installed, I tested to see if the SEP client would actually uninstall the legacy version first.  My testing concluded that SEP did in fact remove any older version of SAV. 

I'm not sure why I'm having this problem but having to go to the client and uninstall an older version first before deploying the SEP client defeats the whole purpose around remote deployment.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get around this issue without having to visit each machine?

Thank you,

Chris

• 2.  RE: Remote client deployment - Event 1013 - Please uninstall your legacy Symantec AntiVirus product before installing SEP

Posted Dec 02, 2010 01:57 PM

Migration paths
    Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.6 (RU6) can migrate seamlessly over the following:

• Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.780.1109/11.0.776.942 (RTM), 11.0.1000.1375 (MR1), 11.0.1006 (MR1 MP1), 11.0.2000.1567 (MR2), 11.0.2010.25 (MR2 MP1), 11.0.2020.56 (MR2 MP2), 11.0.3001.2224 (MR3), 11.0.4000.2295 (MR4), 11.0.4010.19 (MR4 MP1), 11.0.4014.26 (MR4 MP1a), 11.0.4202.75 (MR4 MP2), and 11.0.5002.333 (RU5)
      • Symantec AntiVirus client and server 9.x and later
      • Symantec Client Security client and server 2.x and later

SAV 8 is not supported for migration. You will need to remove those clients manually.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH131653&locale=en_US

• 3.  RE: Remote client deployment - Event 1013 - Please uninstall your legacy Symantec AntiVirus product before installing SEP

Posted Dec 02, 2010 09:04 PM

If you want to removed all symantec antivirus on you clients. Download and Use "nonav.exe" symantec removal tool. This may help you a lot.

• 4.  RE: Remote client deployment - Event 1013 - Please uninstall your legacy Symantec AntiVirus product before installing SEP

Posted Dec 03, 2010 12:24 AM

If you want to remove all the SAV 8.x/9.x/10.x clients from your network and have a valid support for your Symantec product,  then you can create a ticket with Technical support and request for the cleanwipe utility tool that they provide.

** The best recommended method would normally be to use the Add/Remove programs to uninstall the product from the computer and if this method fails, then the utility can be used.

As suggested above by Cycletech, the migration path is not supported for SAV 8.x clients.

* Please note that Nonav tool is no longer supported or used.

Description of Clean wipe

CleanWipe will remove all remnants of the following products from a computer:

· Symantec Endpoint Protection
     · Symantec AntiVirus
     · Symantec Client Security
     · Symantec Sygate Enterprise Protection
     · Symantec Network Access Control
     · Norton AntiVirus
     · Symantec System Center
     · Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

Note: The following cautions apply to the use of CleanWipe:

- CleanWipe removes all of the listed applications.  You cannot select individual applications to remove. 

- CleanWipe may also remove LiveUpdate.

- CleanWipe may also remove Virus Definitions.

- If you have other Symantec applications on the computer that depend on any of the applications listed above, those applications may not function properly.  You need to reinstall the missing applications after you run CleanWipe.

Reference : http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH104790&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1291353135433

• 5.  RE: Remote client deployment - Event 1013 - Please uninstall your legacy Symantec AntiVirus product before installing SEP

Posted Dec 03, 2010 01:48 AM

Yes, I agree w/u slimshady. nonav is no longer supported but you can use it as your last option, if ever your cleanwipe tool will not succeed. But the best practise is using cleanwipe tool for removing symantec AV.

• 6.  RE: Remote client deployment - Event 1013 - Please uninstall your legacy Symantec AntiVirus product before installing SEP

Posted Dec 03, 2010 01:57 PM

NoNav is dangerously old compared to the newer Cleanwipe.  I would not use it under any circumstance.  I would recommend walking through a manual installation first.

Back to the original post, if you have machines that were migrated up from 8 to 9 to 10, it is possible there are remnants in the registry from that older SAV installation that are tripping up the SEP installer.  Just speculation.

sandra

• 7.  RE: Remote client deployment - Event 1013 - Please uninstall your legacy Symantec AntiVirus product before installing SEP

Posted Dec 03, 2010 02:20 PM

Either migrate them all to 10.x then deploy SEP 11.x or you will have to manually/using cleanwipe remove the older version.