Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Remote SEP client v 11.0.6005.562 install to IP discovered win 7 32bit PC Failed.

Posted Aug 12, 2010 11:18 AM
      |   view attached
    I have been having this issue for quite sometime.  Everytime I try to remote push the client to a win 7 32bit PC the install fails from the SEP Manager console.  I have tried from the deployement wizard with no luck either.  This doesn't happen on XP machines, only on win 7 PCs.  I have installed the Support tool on both the server and win 7 client machine to try and diagnose.  Client machine is passing all tests now.  Server machine is having one DNS error.  However, tested DNS communications between client and server with no  issues.  I can ping server by name from client PC and name resolves to IP address everytime.  This is very strange.  I am attaching a screenshot of the server DNS error.   I would greatly appreciate some advice.  

• 2.  RE: Remote SEP client v 11.0.6005.562 install to IP discovered win 7 32bit PC Failed.

Posted Aug 12, 2010 12:05 PM
    Does your server or client have multiple IPs?

You can try, from the problematic machine:

ipconfig /registerdns

• 3.  RE: Remote SEP client v 11.0.6005.562 install to IP discovered win 7 32bit PC Failed.

Posted Aug 12, 2010 12:14 PM

Try the following:

- On the SEPM > Clients >  "Find unmanaged computers", search for a specific IP/machine name of a Windows 7 machine
     - Does it appear in the Unmanaged tab? Good, proceed to next step
     - Push a client install package to this machine
     - Do you get a Status of successful? This means that the package was copied to the client and the installer was launched, but the installation can still fail midway.
         - If that is the case go to the client and get the %TEMP%/SEP_Inst.log and attach it here

• 4.  RE: Remote SEP client v 11.0.6005.562 install to IP discovered win 7 32bit PC Failed.

Posted Aug 12, 2010 12:20 PM
    Turn off the UAC and give a try or else create a package from the SEPM and copy it to a location on the Windows 7 machine. Run the setup from the Windows 7 machien. Once the installation is done check whether its able to communicate with the SEPM or not.

• 5.  RE: Remote SEP client v 11.0.6005.562 install to IP discovered win 7 32bit PC Failed.

Posted Aug 12, 2010 02:11 PM
      |   view attached
    There is only one Static IP on both the server and client machine.  I have attached a screenshot of the error I am getting from the SEP Management console during the remote install.  The failure occurs shortly after executing the install.  There is no %TEMP%/SEP_Inst.log path. UAC is turned off on client PC.   I am going to try and run the setup package from the Win 7 machine.  I will let you know what happens.  Thanks everyones help so far.

• 6.  RE: Remote SEP client v 11.0.6005.562 install to IP discovered win 7 32bit PC Failed.

Posted Aug 12, 2010 02:33 PM
      |   view attached
    I installed the SEP package from the Win 7 machine.  It installed successfully but does not show up in the SEPM.  It received it's definitions successfully though.  Again, strange.  I copied the SEP_Inst.log from the Win 7 machine and attached it.

Attachment(s)

zip
    SEP_INST_23.zip   268 KB 1 version

• 7.  RE: Remote SEP client v 11.0.6005.562 install to IP discovered win 7 32bit PC Failed.

Posted Aug 12, 2010 03:05 PM
    The logs installation went fine..If there is a communication issue it won't show up in Installation Log.

• 8.  RE: Remote SEP client v 11.0.6005.562 install to IP discovered win 7 32bit PC Failed.

Posted Aug 12, 2010 03:13 PM
    The "failure" in the window you see means that it was unable to successfully copy the file to the client machine, not an installation failure.  There's a document for preparing Windows 7 machines for remote deployment, but I am having a hard time locating it.

Did it run LiveUpdate post-install?  What does it say under Help & Support > Troubleshooting? 

Edit:  I think this is the one I was thinking of.  It says Vista but similar preparation may need to be taken for 7.

Title: 'Symantec Endpoint Protection: Preparing computers that run Windows Vista for remote client deployment'
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007091021513648

sandra

• 9.  RE: Remote SEP client v 11.0.6005.562 install to IP discovered win 7 32bit PC Failed.
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 12, 2010 04:12 PM
    I finally figured it out.  I can now install the client package to a win 7 PC using the deployment wizard.  I was just using an old client package from before I migrated the SEPM over from another server.  I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I had recently moved the SEPM over from another server.  I was able to deploy to the client using the old client package but after using the Support tool this last time,  I noticed that the sylink.xml file on the client was pointing to the old server and not my current SEPM server.  I removed this last deployed package from the Win 7 PC using cleanwipe and I removed the old client package from the current server and made a new client deployment package with the new server info.  After deploying this new package with the current server info to the Win7 client it was able to communicate with my current SEPM server. 

I still can't remote install the client using the Find unmanaged client by IP feature inside SEPM (it still fails) but I can now deploy the client correctly using the deployment wizard. 

It seemed to be only affecting my Win 7 PCs because although the SEPM remote install was using a current client package and therefore working correctly with my XP machines; the deployment wizard was using an old client package stored in a separate folder from my previous SEPM server.  Since the deployment wizard seems to be the only way to deploy a client install successfully to Win 7 PC, it seemed to be something mysterious with Win 7 PCs only.  Thanks for everyones help on this.

Best Regards,