Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Removal of Endpoint Protection Client 11.0.1000.1375

Posted Jan 03, 2012 11:00 AM

I need to uninstall the Symantec Endpoint Client (11.0.1000.1375) from my Windows 2003 Server and then reinstall Symantec Endpoint Client 12.1 on a secondary partition on this server (E).  The issue is I am out of space so I cannot remove the Symantec Endpoint Client from the server through the control panel, add/remove programs.  What options do I have to remove this or reduce some of the space it's taking so I can remove it.  Recommendations?  Also, is there any special trick I need to follow to install the 12.1 client on the other parition (which has plenty of space) without it defaulting to C?

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Removal of Endpoint Protection Client 11.0.1000.1375

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 03, 2012 11:10 AM

Hello,

You could follow this Article:

Issue Related to Low disk space.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/issue-related-low-disk-space

Once, done with the above Article, you would be able to uninstall SEP from the machine.

For SEP 12.1; 

Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1: Installing the Manager for the first time and deploying clients

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163580

How do I create and configure a custom Symantec Endpoint Protection installation package in version 12.1?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH165801

How to deploy clients in Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164327

Hope that helps!!

• 3.  RE: Removal of Endpoint Protection Client 11.0.1000.1375

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 03, 2012 11:10 AM

you can delete the files from "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs folder".

You can use the cleanwipe tool as well.

• 4.  RE: Removal of Endpoint Protection Client 11.0.1000.1375

Posted Jan 03, 2012 11:21 AM

Hi,

Please, run the Disk Cleanup wizard built-in in your O.S. to... cleanup your disk. If it is not enough, you may call to Tech Support to get the CleanWipe tool or the manual uninstallation procedure.

To install SEP to a custom path, no need for tricks, just go thru the product documentation to customize your SEP client installation package and then export it. Please, note that some shared components will be still installed on C: under paths like "programdata", "common files", "symantec shared", etc. If you have issues with those folders, you may consider that you are simply not meeting our system requirements and you need a bigger C: drive. Taking in consideration that SEP is using only few hundreds of MBs, I don't believe that moving the SEP from a partition to another is enough to obtain a reliable server i.e. not always at risk of running out of space for other reasons like just some Windows patches.

• 5.  RE: Removal of Endpoint Protection Client 11.0.1000.1375

Posted Jan 03, 2012 12:25 PM

Thanks for your comments.  I have tried the Cleanup utility on the server as well as some manual intervention to gain space,  but not working.  I will follow the other suggestions given and see where that leads me.  I do have the CleanUp Utility from previously, but guessing i might need an updated version, not sure if they are backwards compatible or not.  I'll keep you posted.  Thanks.

• 6.  RE: Removal of Endpoint Protection Client 11.0.1000.1375
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 04, 2012 02:34 AM

Stop and disable SEP services (start - run --smc -stop for smc service)

Then delete contents of virus defs folder and all tmp files in that folder

Delete all tmp files from Documents and settings\all users\application data\Symantec

and everything under 7.5 folder and downloads folders in the above location.

If SEPM is installed Delete everything under  Program Files\Symantec\Symantec endpoint protection manager\Inetpub\Content

Then try removing

• 7.  RE: Removal of Endpoint Protection Client 11.0.1000.1375

Posted Jan 04, 2012 03:16 AM

Please, do not confuse Disk CleanUp Tool which is already in your O.S. (hence no version compatibility issues with your O.S.) with Windows Installer CleanUp Utility which is not published anymore by Microsoft.

Running the Disk CleanUp Tool will help you to gain free space by removing those temporary files that usually consume a lot of disk space. No reason to struggle only around SEP to gain space when you may likely obtain the same result by deleting other unnecessary things.