Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Reparse-Point-Error when upgrading sep11.5 to 12.1ru1

Posted Mar 29, 2012 08:14 AM

Hi all,

we are currently in the process of migrating our Endpoints from SEP11.5 to 12.1RU1.

So far this is running well, but some Clients give me headaches. I am unable to upgrade the Clinet (WinXP), as it is giving me the following Error-Mesage: "Symantec Endpoint Protection cannot installed to a path including a reparse point".

I googled up reparse-points and what this means (there are a few threads in the Connect-Forums about this as well), but I just cannot find the reason for this. Remember 11.5 is running fine on the Machines, I just get this error when updating. I tried looking up the Install log, but it seems this has not even been created...

Any Ideas or hints what may cause this is REALLY appreciated!

Regards

Stephan

• 2.  RE: Reparse-Point-Error when upgrading sep11.5 to 12.1ru1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 29, 2012 09:23 AM

Hi,

Issue may cause if "Documents and Settings" folder moved to another drive.

Make sure location given in setup.exe does exist on remote machines.

Are you using default installation folder or Custom installation folder?

• 3.  RE: Reparse-Point-Error when upgrading sep11.5 to 12.1ru1

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Mar 29, 2012 12:48 PM

Hello,

It seems the Package you are trying to install with states to Install under either "C:\Program Files" OR "Documents and Settings")

I would suggest you create a new package with these custom settings.

Here are the steps below to perform below:

1) Open Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager,

2) Click on Admin and click Client Install Settings and click on Edit Client Install Settings

3) The screenshot below shows in red the default option "Install to the default installation folder"

4) Select the option below and specify a Folder which is not a reparse point.

Hope that helps!!

• 4.  RE: Reparse-Point-Error when upgrading sep11.5 to 12.1ru1

Posted Mar 30, 2012 03:07 AM

@Chetan Savade

The Clients I try to install to only have a C:\ Drive, so all should be in default locations. Can it be this has to do with Access-Rights? Do you have a list of folders needed? Maybe I have to check Group-Policies... for "special" settings smeone has set...

I wonder why the 11.5-Client works. Must be something different in the installation-process....

@Mithun Sanghavi

Please see the Client Install settings below :-(

• 5.  RE: Reparse-Point-Error when upgrading sep11.5 to 12.1ru1
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 30, 2012 06:29 AM

Hi Stephank,

Reparse points include mounted folders, program files\common files\, document and settings etc

I think there is a problem with the reparse points on the machines. You can query for the reparse points and delete them. After that try to install SEP.

There is a utility called "FSutil" which will help you in deleting the reparse points. You can find it from the below link,

Alternativley on Windows 7 you can use the following command to serach for the reparse points,

dir /AL /S

• 6.  RE: Reparse-Point-Error when upgrading sep11.5 to 12.1ru1

Posted Mar 30, 2012 08:57 AM

@Chetan Savade 

Thanks for your Links! FSUTIL really helped me out on this one.

It seems someone in 2008 (apparently thats when the PCs were setup O_O), used an unattended Install and with that moved the Documents and Settings folder to drive D:... So I have to apoligize, I didn't expect these machines to be so "outdated".

I guess SEP12 really needs the Documents&Settings-Path, or is there a way to get around this?

If not, it seems my colleagues have to setup a lot of old PCs....

Thanks for your help!

Regards

Stephan