I am looking to see if a core workflow of my backup environment can be configured in Replication Director.
- Multiple Netapp filers (6280s OnTap 8.x in 7mode)
- One Netbackup master server (Windows 2003)
- Two Netbackup media servers (one Windows 2003 and one OLE 6)
- LTO4 tape drives in a robotic library
On the primary filer I take hourly snapshots of a volume and retain them for a rolling 24; a daily snapshot is taken and retained for rolling 7 days. Nightly; I snapvault a daily snapshot to a secondary filer and keep that for 5 weeks. On a weekly schedule I backup the volume on this secondary filer to tape.
This solution is managed by many tools and there is not central console to monitor and report the end to end successes (or failures, let’s be honest). Replication Director seems to be the tool for this. Can I use it to achieve my desired result?
- Netbackup schedules and initiates the hourly and daily snapshots on the primary storage volume.
- Netbackup schedules and initiates the snapvault to the secondary volume on another filer nightly.
- Netbackup schedules and executes tape backups of the secondary volume weekly to tape.
Man that sounds like a dream come true.
Thank you in adavance interwebs for any input you offer,