Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Restore Backup Exec 12.5 DLO Configuration

Created: 18 May 2010 | 3 comments
Brian Thor's picture
I am doing a bare-metal restore of a server which apparently had separate SQL instances for BKUPEXEC and BKUPEXECDLO. After restoring the server I had problems with Backup Exec services not starting so I uninstalled and reinstalled Backup Exec. In hindsight that may not have been necessary but that is water under the bridge now. My problem is that I don't know how to restore the previous DLO configuration so that I don't have to recreate all of the objects. The new install uses the new single SQL instance and I believe I have successfully redirected the restore of the DLO database to the BKUPEXEC instance. I don't, however, see all of my configuration.

Can someone help me determine what I might be doing wrong? Thanks.

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

sazz.'s picture

You might had the BE upgraded from the previous version and that is the reason you were able to see the 2 sql instacnes, from 12.5 we only create one sql instacne for BE as well as DLO.

Now once you have the BE installed for 12.5, install the DLO options or put the license for the DLO. Once installed it will create the bedb_dlo.mdf and bedb_dlo.ldf in the c:\program files\symantec\backup exec \data folder. You have to stop all the be services rename these files to OLD and copy the same files from the old backup and paste to this location.
Try to start the services and check if you are able to pull the information.
If you don't have the backup of old mdf and ldf for DLO there is nothing can be done

Brian Thor's picture

My solution was to install an instance of BKUPEXECDLO, restore from backup and then follow sazz's advice. I stopped all BE services and SQL instances, made backup copies of my existing BE_DLO data files (just in case) and then COPIED the restored BE_DLO.mdf and BE_DLO_log.ldf from the restore to the Backup Exec data folder. I restarted all of the related services except BKUPEXECDLO just to prove that SQL instance was no longer necessary and the console now shows all of my configuration. I think I may have to modify the clients to recognize the change of SQL instance.

sazz.'s picture

perfect, if all your clients were using the bkupexecdlo then you need not to change them otherwise you have to