Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Restore notes user BE 2012

Created: 12 Jun 2014 | 8 comments

I want to restore the notes from a user mailbox which i back up'd on  tape in BE 2012.
I have a dedicated backup server which handles all the back-ups. 

So I insert the correct tape and start the restore process. 
I get prompted where I want to restore the items: original or different location.
Doesn't really matter, i just want to restore this user his notes.

I already tried both options but restore keeps failing. 
If i select to restore to other location, i can choose between mailbox, public folder or pst.
I also selected all available options but restore keeps failing. 

The job failed with the following error: To support individual mailbox message and folder restores from Information Store backups, you must download and install the Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects package version 06.05.7888 or later on the Exchange 2007 server. This package can be found on the Microsoft web site.

The job failed with the following error: To redirect Exchange mailboxes to PST files, Outlook 2003 or later and the Backup Exec Agent for Windows must be installed on the server to which you are redirecting the restore. Outlook 2010 requires the default 32-bit installation.

After some attempts, i've executed a successful restore when selecting the option to restore to the original location without overriding.
I don't want this user his new notes all gone. 
However when i check the successful event log, i see that all items are skipped because they already exist.

Now i check the back-up server and see that there is no mapi cdo installed on the BU server.
Something strange, the error reports about Exchange 2007, while I have an Exchange 2010 environment.
File restore are working perfectly.

Operating Systems:

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

VJware's picture

I would recommend to duplicate the backup sets from tape to disk as this simplifies the GRT process.

JohnDoo's picture

I created the duplicate but still receive same error messages..

JohnDoo's picture

Nobody? I use Exchange 2010 but receive error messages telling me i need to install mapi cdo for Exchange 2007.

VJware's picture

Are Exchange Management tools installed on the BE media server ? If they are, they should be of the same version as that on the Exchange server.

JohnDoo's picture

I don't think Exchange Management tools are installed on the BE media server. I've read about EWS (Exchange Web Services) that had to be installed on my Backup server. First time i hear about Exchange Management tools, confusing.. 

How can i verify what version these tools are installed on my exchange environment?

It's frustrating there is so little documentation about BE 2012 DAG restore. 

VJware's picture

EWS is used in Exchange 2010 instead of MAPI/CDO which was used by earlier versions of Exchange, however it is required to have the Exchange Management Tools to be installed on the BE media server.

Have a look @ this KB as well - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO24128

And it is better to duplicate the existing backup sets from tape to disk while running a restore to avoid multiple DB mountings over multiple restore attempts.

Lastly, is NLB enabled ?

MusSeth's picture

Please make sure to have a remote agent installed on CAS server...backup exec logon account needs to be member of exchange organization management group..make sure to have sufficient space available on media server as backup exec will mount database in temp location on media server extract mailbox and then perform restore if data is on tape....

JohnDoo's picture

Remote agent installed and account rights are correct.

I have seperate disk for restore process.

I have backup on tape but did copy job to disk to test.

Nothing worked, always receiving same vague error messages.