Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

Restore Options for Exchange 2007

Created: 12 Jun 2012 • Updated: 13 Jun 2012 | 7 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

We have full snapshot backups of an Exchange 2007 SP3 but unfortunately without GRT.  What are my options for restore an individual mailbox?
My Exchange and Backup Exec server does not have enough free space to hold another copy this database (approx. 200GB), I'm thinking of using a USB drive as my destination or maybe a CIFS share if it's supported.

Will flat file restore be my best option?
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH87383

Thanks

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

Sush...'s picture

You can attach the USB drive to your Exchange server and the you can create a Recovery Storage Group (RSG) in Exchange.

Then you can restore the Mailbox database to the Recovery Storage Group and then using ESEUTIL can get the individual mailboxes or items.

But note that this is only for Mailbox databases and not Public folder database.

Here are the technotes for the same.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH51555  : How to restore to a Recovery Storage Group in Exchange 2007 using Exchange Management Shell.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO24088 : Restoring a database to an Exchange 2007 recovery storage group

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

randy915's picture

Thanks Sush for the quick response, I may need some extra guidance on this as I've never done this before.

In Exchange MC, when I create the RSG, after selecting this particular database, am I supposed to change the log, checkpoint, and database folder path to the USB drive?

Sush...'s picture

Yes. So that when the data will be restored to the Mailbox database in the RSG it will go the USB drive.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

randy915's picture

I formatted a new drive as NTFS and connected it to the mailbox server which I'm operating EMC on.  I even rebooted this node to ensure the administrative share is accessible via UNC remotely.

When I set all 3 file paths to the USB drive, I get this error:
Error encountered while trying to create the recovery storage group (Recovery Storage Group). Error message is: The location for LogFolderPath is not on a fixed drive..

I found a lot of articles both claiming USB works / does not work as a storage device for Exchange, confused...

Sush...'s picture

Officially I am not sure if Microsoft supports USB drives or not. But I have seen it working without any issue.

Thanks,

-Sush...

monty_222's picture

Attching a USB to act as a RSG will not work , b'coz RSG can be created on a local disk only , 

I can suggest to increase disk space on server and you can use the Ontrack Powercontrol tool to go for a granular restore option . 

This is a 3rd party tool but very well in getting all granual recovery , this tool emulates a exchange servers and you can use any server with a big disk space to act as a RSG server.

Thanks,
Debashish

SOLUTION
randy915's picture

Thanks monty_22 and Sush.  I'm sure Powercontrol would do the trick and USB is definitely not supported to host any type of database on Exchange.

My solution was to utilize iSCSI to connect to our SAN on the active node of the mailbox cluster, created a 300GB partition and was able to successfully create the RSG and mount a database.

The links Sush covers 2nd half of the restore into the said RSG DB.