Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Restore SQL Database over to another database using Backup Exec 2010 R3

Created: 07 Mar 2013 • Updated: 11 Mar 2013 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello All,

We have Backup Exec 2010 R3, with daily full SQL backups scheduled for business critical SQL servers.  Now we have a situation where we need to restore a data base from 06/03/2013 onto another exisiting database i.e (maximum knows details below)

Source DB name - SEM (Production DB- backed-up as of 06/03/13) [ Recovery Model- Simple]

Target DB name - SEMT (another exisiting DB along with 'SEM' production db) [ Recovery Model- Simple]

Both of these are daily fully backed up. 

Now simply,  we need the production DB 'SEM' to be overwritten to 'SEMT' dummy database as of 06/03/13 using BACKUP EXEC?

I see there are many options but confused, first time to attempt such.

Please help!

Operating Systems:

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

You use the SQL re-direction portion of the restore job.  Specify the target SQL instance and the target SQL database name.

SOLUTION
insaf_mohd's picture

Hello PKH,

Thanks for the suggestion!

Again to mention - the production DB (SEM) and target DB (SEMT) are on SAME SQL SERVER., it's ok for the redirection as long as I put the correct server name, instance name, target DB name etc right?

And any other actions at the SQL server side like stop services, any amendments to the TEST target DB to accept the overwrite etc??

SQL Novice.

pkh's picture

No.  You don't need to do things like stop services, etc.  Just specify the correct instance and the database name.

insaf_mohd's picture

Thanks bro, I just did it.  Quite simple as you said :) Nothing to mess with the production or so.

Kudos.