Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Restore VtoP in Backup EXEC2012

Created: 12 Jan 2014 • Updated: 13 Jan 2014 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

we have an environment where we are running backupexec2012 with sp3. we also have a full backup of a virtual machine with GRT enabled option. This same virtual machine have sql server 2008 installed. My requirement is that can we restore this virtual machine backup to a physical hardware. if yes please share a specific be2012 document

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

Jaydeep S's picture

Backup Exec Media Server installation on a Virtual machine is not recommended. However, with a complete SDR enabled backup, you should be able to restore it to a physical machine.

Allen John's picture

I think you understood wrong .

we have an environment where we are running backupexec2012 with sp3. In this backupexec2012 we also have a full backup of a virtual machine with GRT enabled option. This virtual machine have sql server 2008 installed. My requirement is that can we restore this virtual machine backup to a physical hardware. if yes please share a specific be2012 document

Please Note: I dont want to restore backupexec server 2012 itself. I want to restore a backup which exist on backupexec2012

Good Day

pkh's picture

You would need to backup this VM as if it is a physical machine and you need to enable SDR. With this backup, you can then use SDR to restore the VM to a physical machine. You cannot do a SDR restore if you backup the VM as a VM

SOLUTION
Allen John's picture

You would need to backup this VM as if it is a physical machine

How please share some details

and you need to enable SDR

From where I can enable it

Good Day

pkh's picture

Suppose the VM is Server A, go to the Backup and Restore tab and add Server A as a remote server. If you have not already installed the remote agent in Server A, then push out the remote agent to Server A. Create a backup job for Server A. select the entire server and you will see a green SDR light on to of the selection. Run the job.

Allen John's picture

Hay great. Thanks for your fruitful comments

Good Day