Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Restore VtoP in Backup EXEC2012

Created: 13 Jan 2014 • Updated: 13 Jan 2014 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

we have an environment where we are running backupexec2012 with sp3. we also have a full backup of a virtual machine with GRT enabled option. This same virtual machine have sql server 2008 installed. My requirement is that can we restore this virtual machine backup to a physical hardware. if yes please share a specific be2012 document

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

Jaydeep S's picture

Backup Exec Media Server installation on a Virtual machine is not recommended. However, with a complete SDR enabled backup, you should be able to restore it to a physical machine.

Allen John's picture

I think you understood wrong .

we have an environment where we are running backupexec2012 with sp3. In this backupexec2012 we also have a full backup of a virtual machine with GRT enabled option. This virtual machine have sql server 2008 installed. My requirement is that can we restore this virtual machine backup to a physical hardware. if yes please share a specific be2012 document

Please Note: I dont want to restore backupexec server 2012 itself. I want to restore a backup which exist on backupexec2012

Good Day

pkh's picture

You would need to backup this VM as if it is a physical machine and you need to enable SDR. With this backup, you can then use SDR to restore the VM to a physical machine. You cannot do a SDR restore if you backup the VM as a VM

SOLUTION
Allen John's picture

You would need to backup this VM as if it is a physical machine

How please share some details

and you need to enable SDR

From where I can enable it

Good Day

pkh's picture

Suppose the VM is Server A, go to the Backup and Restore tab and add Server A as a remote server. If you have not already installed the remote agent in Server A, then push out the remote agent to Server A. Create a backup job for Server A. select the entire server and you will see a green SDR light on to of the selection. Run the job.

Allen John's picture

Hay great. Thanks for your fruitful comments

Good Day