Video Screencast Help

Restore VtoP (SUSE Linux11) in Backup EXEC2012

Created: 21 Jan 2014 • Updated: 21 Jan 2014 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I discussed the same under following forum discussion and thanks to got exact solution. the situation is almost same now. i want to take a SDR backup of linux suse virtual machine and want to restore it on a physical system. please note: the suse linux virtual machine have sap application installed with oracle and also san luns attached as raw device.

"my queries are"

query #1     is it possible that i can restore the sdr backup to a physical machine ?

query #1    what licenses i required for taking a sdr backup of suse linux virtual machine whic have sap and oracle installed ?

query #3     if i can restore the same then should i need an additional backexec agent license to take sdr backup just to convert this physical machine to virtual ?  

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/restore-vtop-backup-exec2012

Operating Systems:

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Colin Weaver's picture

You cannot do SDR with Linux

Page 16 of the Backup Exec 2012 SCL states

Note: The Agent for Linux does not support the Simplified Disaster Recovery feature.

EDIT just for info you can take a Remote agent SSP enabled backup of a Windows Virtual machine (as long as it is not 2012/R2) and do an SDR recovery although in some cases dissimilar hardware may cause instability after the restore which wil have to be solved manually (boot into Safe mode remove incompatible hardware drivers etc)

SOLUTION
Allen John's picture

collin

there is no chance to restore a complete linux virtual machine in to physical 

Good Day

Colin Weaver's picture

Typically our Linux agent is there to protect user data, the recent addition of support for Oracle on Linux and AOFO on Linux has enhanced the capability but at the end of the day Backup Exec is not designed to be a DR product for Linux. DR recovery would therefore be: manually install the operating system and RALUS into the OS (along with Oracle if needed) and then recover the data using Backup Exec.

Allen John's picture

(along with Oracle if needed)

offcourse it needed. I think

Good Day