Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Restoring Microsoft deduplicated files in Backup Exec 2012

Created: 07 Jul 2014 • Updated: 12 Jul 2014 | 1 comment

Good morning community.

we are currently using Backup Exec 2012 Version 12 REv 1798 x64. 

Since a crash of our SAN nodes we experience some problems in backing up our storage server. it was recovered and nothing was lost, however the backup size was before the crash for a full backup around 750 GB.

Now, it would not back up more than 68 GB. We had to change the file structure a little bit but in general nothing else major has changed.

The interesting part, when I check the backup sets, it would tell me it has backed up f.e. 420 GB of data for one volume, but the actual Job log doesn't reflect that. Also the runtime dropped drastically from half a day to around an hour.

We think it might be an issue with the Snapshots but since we don't get any errors and everything is green, its difficult to figure out where the problem lies.

Thanks in advance for any tips on this matter.

kind regards,

stefan

Operating Systems:

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

IT Officer CS's picture

I am pushing this topic, anyone who is able to help in this matter?

Thanks

//update//

OK we were able to point down the reason to the little backups to Data deduplication activated in windows server 2012.

Now, when we want to restore files from the deduplicated storage server to any other volume, the files are corrupt.

How are we able to perform optimized backups from a deduplicated storage volume so that in case of a disaster the files can be fully restored to any other volume?

thanks,