Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Rtvscan takes over 200K of RAM, slows computer

Posted Jun 01, 2011 09:39 AM

It's been over half an hour since I booted up my computer, and Rtvscan.exe is still running at 243,000 KB of RAM. I'm running SAV Corporate Edition 10.1, but I'm reading threads where Endpoint Protection is the same or worse. We are just about to install SEP on our network.

I have a decent PC with a 2.8 GHz processor and 3 GB of RAM. It seems ridiculous that my PC is tied up for the first 10-15 minutes after I start up. My home PC with less RAM runs much faster on startup. My PC is not the only client on the network with the same behavior. Most of the clients routinely show Rtvscan running at more than 100,000 MB of RAM at any given time. At certain times of the day, the computers slow to a crawl. We run applications accessing a SQL database on a server, and this isn't a good situation for us.

I've read many threads but none of the proposed solutions I've read apply to my case. Can anyone at Symantec or anyone who'se resolved this problem point me in the right direction? Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Rtvscan takes over 200K of RAM, slows computer

Posted Jun 01, 2011 09:41 AM

Edited to correct, Rtvscan routinely takes up 100,000+ KB - not MB - of RAM on our network clients!

• 3.  RE: Rtvscan takes over 200K of RAM, slows computer

Posted Jun 01, 2011 11:47 AM

You can disable the scan on startup:

About the Quick Scan feature in Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.1 and Symantec Client Security 3.1 - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH101763

If there is a scan scheduled for when your computer is turned off, then it is also possible that it begins to run if bootup is within the missed event window. For more info, see this document:

Unexpected scheduled scans run on a Symantec AntiVirus client - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH101672

sandra

• 4.  RE: Rtvscan takes over 200K of RAM, slows computer

Posted Jun 01, 2011 02:15 PM

Hi,

several important optimizations have been done in newer releases of SAV 10.1 and SEP 11.0 regarding the usage of the RAM, please, specify the full release installed on your system. You are likely reading old discussions around.

Even better performance are expected in SEP 12.1, I suggest you to join the discussions in this forum about the beta version and current customers' feedback.

Regards,