Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

rtvscan.exe is consuming 25% CPU and high memory. Symantec Endpoint Potection Version 11.0.5002.333. I will be grateful if somone can provide solution for this.

Created: 19 Jun 2012 • Updated: 19 Jun 2012 | 7 comments

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

oykunsatis's picture

Hello,

I think the best solution will be upgrading your system to higher version, and it's better to upgrade 12.1. I'm sure about it'll be fix all of your problems.

Regards,

Oykun

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

What OS is this machine in question running on?

How much RAM is the machine carrying?

I would request you to check if there are risk detected lately on this machine?

If no risks are detected and if migrating to the Latest Version is not possible then, I would request you to either run a Repair of SEP client from Add/ Remove Programs

OR

Uninstall and Reinstall the SEP Client on the machine.

Hope that helps!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

You are using SEP 11.0.5002.333 i.e  RU5.

Latest SEP 11 version is RU7 MP2

Check till date releases

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/what-are-symantec-endpoint-protection-sep-versions-released-officially

At least you should upgrade to RU7 MP2

Few defects are fixed related to rtvscan.

RTVScan.exe does not release memory until after the scan completes
Fix ID: 1427192
Symptom: When very large containers are scanned, memory continues to grow until the scan completes.
Solution: Memory usage is reduced by not storing unnecessary data during the scan.

Check this link for more details:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH103087

Chetan Savade
Sr.Technical Support Engineer, Endpoint Security
Enterprise Technical Support
CCNA | CCNP | MCSE | SCTS |

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

huntingaddict1's picture

I am running 11.0.5002.333.  My user's rtvscan.exe is running 40-60% all day and as long as their computer is up.  

I entered the registry key like it was supposed to be.  When I searched for the NavLogon.dll is no where to be found anywhere.  All my files are not hidden either so it should have found it somewhere.  I read that key needs to be in the C:WINDOWS\System32 folder, but it is not.  I want to insert the NavLogon.dll into that folder, but do not know where to locate it at.  I have searched the whole computer.

Any help would be appreciated.