Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  "Run as administrator" on encrypted files doesn't work in 10.2

Posted Aug 12, 2011 01:54 PM

We keep administrative batch files that have to have passwords in them encrypted with PGP Desktop.  In versions 9.x through 10.1, right-clicking on them and choosing "Run as administrator" worked just fine.  But, with 10.2, this no longer works.  Instead I get an "Access is denied." error message.

I uninstalled 10.2 and went back to 10.1 to make sure there wasn't some other issue...but back on 10.1, the functionality worked as expected.  I upgraded up to 10.2 again, and the problem returned.

I also tried opening the file with a shortcut I have that opens a file in Notepad with administrative rights (for editing protected files like hosts) and it also gave the same "Access is denied." error message.

Any ideas?  Thanks

• 2.  RE: "Run as administrator" on encrypted files doesn't work in 10.2

Posted Aug 16, 2011 06:29 AM

I don't know if it will help, but may be worth trying if this is a Windows machine:

Right click on the PGP Desktop shortcut, select Properties.  On the Compatibility tab, set "Run this program as an Administrator."

• 3.  RE: "Run as administrator" on encrypted files doesn't work in 10.2

Posted Aug 17, 2011 11:46 AM

By chance, are you using UAC on Windows Vista/Windows 7? If so, I would maybe test with turning this setting off or lowering the UAC setting.