Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

"Run as administrator" on encrypted files doesn't work in 10.2

Created: 12 Aug 2011 | 2 comments

We keep administrative batch files that have to have passwords in them encrypted with PGP Desktop.  In versions 9.x through 10.1, right-clicking on them and choosing "Run as administrator" worked just fine.  But, with 10.2, this no longer works.  Instead I get an "Access is denied." error message.

I uninstalled 10.2 and went back to 10.1 to make sure there wasn't some other issue...but back on 10.1, the functionality worked as expected.  I upgraded up to 10.2 again, and the problem returned.

I also tried opening the file with a shortcut I have that opens a file in Notepad with administrative rights (for editing protected files like hosts) and it also gave the same "Access is denied." error message.

Any ideas?  Thanks

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

Tom Mc's picture

I don't know if it will help, but may be worth trying if this is a Windows machine:

Right click on the PGP Desktop shortcut, select Properties.  On the Compatibility tab, set "Run this program as an Administrator."

When you consider your issue resolved, please click Mark As Solution on the most helpful response.

Search the Knowledge Base &

PGP_Ben's picture

By chance, are you using UAC on Windows Vista/Windows 7? If so, I would maybe test with turning this setting off or lowering the UAC setting.

If/when you consider your issue resolved, please click Mark As Solution on the most helpful response.