Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Running SAV version 10.1.7.7000 on stand-alone laptops can not get virus defs to update

Posted Aug 21, 2009 10:07 AM
    Good Morning everyone! I am hoping I can get some assistance with an issue I am having. Part of my job is to maintain 3 stand alone laptops. They NEVER connect to a network.  Every monday I go out and find the latest Update for SAV, burn them to a CD, and load it onto the laptops. On 2 of the 3 laptops the properties will show that the update was applied successfully. On the the 3rd Laptop I will try to run the file from the CD, and instead of a window popping up showing me what files are being downloaded, a window briefly (by briefly I mean less than a second) pops up and goes away. The def. is never updated. I did go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs to verify the files are good and not corrupt and everything appears fine. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Running SAV version 10.1.7.7000 on stand-alone laptops can not get virus defs to update

Posted Aug 21, 2009 10:16 AM
    Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads and delete everything from there.

Then try to download the defntion and try update them

• 3.  RE: Running SAV version 10.1.7.7000 on stand-alone laptops can not get virus defs to update

Posted Aug 21, 2009 10:21 AM
    on the third one seems like virus defs are corrupted

you need to clear them ,using Rx4 defs util. (need to call support for that)

easiest way is to use the intellignet update from here and run it on clients

http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/definitions/download/detail.jsp?gid=savce

run this and it would work fine

• 4.  RE: Running SAV version 10.1.7.7000 on stand-alone laptops can not get virus defs to update

Posted Aug 21, 2009 10:31 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions but neither solution works. Keep in mind these laptops DO NOT connect to the network. In order to load def. I have to go to the unclass network, burn a CD, then load onto the laptop. Any other suggestions?

• 5.  RE: Running SAV version 10.1.7.7000 on stand-alone laptops can not get virus defs to update

Posted Aug 21, 2009 10:35 AM
    try these on the laptop and then apply the update

1. Stop all Symantec related services like

• SavRoam
    • Symantec Antivirus
    • Symantec Antivirus Definition Watcher
    • Symantec Event Manager
    • Symantec Settings Manager

2. In folder "Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5" delete all files with "*.vdb" extension

3. In folder "Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\I2_LDVP.VDB" delete all content.

4. Start all services that was stopped in step 1.

That usually works :)

• 6.  RE: Running SAV version 10.1.7.7000 on stand-alone laptops can not get virus defs to update

Posted Aug 27, 2009 01:27 PM

I even uninstalled and reinstalled symantec...

• 7.  RE: Running SAV version 10.1.7.7000 on stand-alone laptops can not get virus defs to update

Posted Aug 27, 2009 01:59 PM

How to determine if virus definitions used by Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition are corrupted

http://service1.symantec.com/F:/ent-security.nsf/docid/2002080708594148

• 8.  RE: Running SAV version 10.1.7.7000 on stand-alone laptops can not get virus defs to update

Posted Aug 27, 2009 02:08 PM
    run nonav nad reinstal SAV.......if AV and def corrupted

• 9.  RE: Running SAV version 10.1.7.7000 on stand-alone laptops can not get virus defs to update

Posted Aug 28, 2009 03:26 PM
    You can get Clean wipe from symantec and run it to remove SAV
    In General it will reboot twice.
    Make sure you don't have any folders related to Symantec if you have SAV alone installed on your PC
    Check the following location (Default Location), remove anything related to symantec or Live Update
    C:\Program Files
    C:\Program Files\Common Files
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\

Then try to install SAV and then use intelligent update to update the Product.