Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  SATA Drivers on an HP 6550b

Posted Oct 26, 2010 10:55 AM

We just got a few HP 6550b in today and need to install XP. We have an HII image and when I went to install the image I got my favorite blue-screen regarding SATA drivers. I've been trying to use Deplyanywhere to inject the drivers without having to reseal the image with no luck. Does anyone else have this model and how are you getting the SATA drivers to work?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: SATA Drivers on an HP 6550b

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Oct 26, 2010 11:48 AM

I'm afraid I can't help you with DeployAnywhere -I don't use it.

When we don't want to go through a reseal just for adding mass-storage support we use this:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/downloads/offline-updating-mass-storage-controllers-xp/

As long as you can scavenge the driver device ID you're sorted.

Kind Regards,
    Ian./

• 3.  RE: SATA Drivers on an HP 6550b

Posted Oct 26, 2010 03:25 PM

Thanks Ian,

I read that article yesterday and BTW, it's a great article, but I can't seem to get it to work. I have the script formatted the correctly and when I run the batch file on the DS, it completes successfully and I can see that the .img file has been updated based on the timestamp. But when I run the image, it still blue screens.

• 4.  RE: SATA Drivers on an HP 6550b

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Oct 27, 2010 05:20 AM

OK -can you dump the log file here so I can take a look?

• 5.  RE: SATA Drivers on an HP 6550b

Posted Oct 27, 2010 10:54 AM

After reading some posts last night, I changed the entry from reading the Isator.inf to the iaAHCI.inf. I'm running the image now to test this out. 

Wed-10-27 10-50-28 Starting Mass-Storage Injection Script 

Task 0 --    Driver signature set for injection into CriticalDeviceDatabase 
                   [Device] '3B2F' 
                   [Vendor] '8086' 
                   [Service] 'iaAHCI' 
     Task 1 --    Inject Driver File 'Z:\drivers\6550b\6550b Sata Drivers\Winall\Driver\iaAHCI.inf'  
    Update Critical Device Database in image System hive: 
    .   --  Info: Extracting system hive from image. 
    .   --    OK: System Hive successfully extracted. 
    .   --  Info: Backing up system hive to system.original 
    .   --  Info: Adding CriticalDevice into extracted System Hive 
    .   --  Info: System Hive successfully mounted. 
    .   --  Info: Created ClassGUID Value 
    .   --  Info: Created Service Value 
    .   --    OK: Unmounted Hive 
    .   --  Info: Injecting system hive back into image .... 
    .   --    OK: Completed system hive injection. 
    Inject Mass-Storage Driver: 
    .   --  Info: Injecting driver into image .... 
    .   --    OK: Completed driver injection 
    Image Update complete! 

• 6.  RE: SATA Drivers on an HP 6550b

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Oct 28, 2010 03:07 AM

You got it -the iaAHCI.inf file contains addservice entries like this, 

AddService = iaStor               

Which means your parameters should be,

[Device] '3B2F' 
    [Vendor] '8086' 
    [Service] 'iaStor' 
    Inject Driver File 'Z:\drivers\6550b\6550b Sata Drivers\Winall\Driver\iaAHCI.inf'  

This is a hole in my documentation!

Kind Regards,
    Ian./

• 7.  RE: SATA Drivers on an HP 6550b

Posted Oct 29, 2010 07:48 AM
    I changed the file and ran it again. I still get a success code, but still unable to load the image while SATA is checked. I will be going the manual route and updating the image the normal way. Thanks for the script, but the disappointment is with DeployAnywhere. The product advertises that you can add SATA drivers buy going through the wizard, which I did but still does not work. Thanks again for the reply and the good work on the script, I look forward to trying it with other models.

• 8.  RE: SATA Drivers on an HP 6550b

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Nov 02, 2010 01:23 PM

It might be that you don't have existing Intel Matrix Storage drivers in the image to update -this script only serves to update the device IDs and driver files for existing mass storage support.

The script isn't perfect -it really needs to read the inf file and inject  ALL the device_id data into the image registry file.

Just another job on the todo list...

• 9.  RE: SATA Drivers on an HP 6550b
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 05, 2010 10:12 AM

I resolved this issue by adding the drivers the old manually way. It was a but tricky to get the correct Hardware ID, but what I did is first disable SATA in the BIOS and install the image, which works fine. I then updated the driver in the device manager to point to the Isator.inf file and chose the Intel 6 port SATA driver to get the correct hardware ID. Thanks ianatkin for the script, I'll see if I can get this to work with some of our future models.