Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SAV 12.1.2 fails to run in x64 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Posted Jun 23, 2014 08:48 PM

I am running a new, fresh installation of Ubunu 12.04 LTS x64 which has been hardened to DoD standards so permissions may be part of the problem. (If so: I can temporarily loosen things or make an exception for necessary permissions) However, a web search shows that this error does crop up from time to time for users. I have attempted every publically available fix method I found, and nothing worked for me.

The system specs well exceed minimum specs.I installed the required Java 1.5 which meets program requirements, and then SAV Enterprise Endpoint Protection 12.1 for Linux. I placed the license file in the same folder as the executable as I didn't see any instructions about what to do with it or if/how SAV checks for such a file.

When I go to run the sav command from /opt/Symantec/symantec_antivirus/ I get a "No such file or directory error." Running the same command as "sudo ./sav" removes the error but yields no error nor output.

Other useful info:

- I have tried running the command as a full path: "sudo /opt/Symantec/symantec_antivirus/sav info -a" as suggested by Symantec but that hasn't helped either. 

- A check of /var/log folder shows that there are no corresponding log entries for Symantec which means my commands to enable autoprotect or to force a live update have failed to be executed.

- the sav file itself is owned by root:administrator, which were default settings. sav has a permission level of 731. Attempts to chmod sav to 777 and run it, were also unsuccessful, and it was reverted back to its original permission level.

- I attempted to install the 32 bit library file called ia32-libs and the sub-sub-dependencies that were required. I manually added dependencies and some sub-dependencies flat out failed to install so I couldn't complete this repair method.

- Attempts to compile my own kernel also fails with an error: ./build.sh: line 119: [: : integer expression expected and the Build fails.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 2.  RE: SAV 12.1.2 fails to run in x64 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Posted Jun 25, 2014 12:25 PM

First off, what version of SAVFL is this? What you reference is for SEP. SEP is only for Windows.