Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SAV 8 "main" screen always reports VirusDef 1/2/99

Posted Oct 21, 2008 11:54 AM
    Symantec AV 8 corporate (stand alone, no AV server) came preinstalled on clients laptop and he claims that it was working properly in the past. When he does a Live update AV engine & defs appear to update, but on the "main" screen it reports Virus Def File Version 1/2/1999 rev 13 (this does not change with updates). If go to File\Virus List the definition date is current and upto date.

The setup program is probably somewhere on the recovery CD's but we would like to try to avoid running a "factory restore"  if possible because this obviously could effect so much else on the system.

I tried  copying the virus def file from another "working" computer and rebooting but this did not help.

What else can I try?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: SAV 8 "main" screen always reports VirusDef 1/2/99

Posted Oct 22, 2008 11:14 AM
    Got the same problem here, before it was not displaying any date for the defs, now it is displaying that the defs are from 1999 and that the updating is fine.

• 3.  RE: SAV 8 "main" screen always reports VirusDef 1/2/99

Posted Oct 30, 2008 08:09 AM
    How annoying. I finally decided to uninstall and reinstall. Reinstalled and the date was 6/19/2006. Did a Live update and the date went back to 1/2/1999. I've really had it with Symantec products.

• 4.  RE: SAV 8 "main" screen always reports VirusDef 1/2/99

Posted Nov 27, 2008 04:31 AM

Bad news guys....had this when we asked symantec :-

Symantec Antivirus 8.0 reached its End of Support Life as of November 30, 2005 and Symantec Antivirus 8.1 reached its End of Support Life as of January 31, 2007, as defined in the Symantec Enterprise Technical Support Policy. Therefore virus definition updates are no longer supported for this product

So no more updates, guess you have to rush through a project to upgrade your systems, fortunatly we'd already started but this was a major shock.