Video Screencast Help

Sav10UninstallFix Error 1722

Created: 31 Jan 2008 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 8 comments
Just recv Endpoint 11.0.1 - Replacing 10.x - NOT upgrading server, starting fresh.

1. Installed Management Server and Console, installled EndPoint on Server. All ok.
2. Created Install package, tried to rollout to client, but recieved Installation Interupted Message and stops.
3. Checked event logs on server - all clear.
3. Checked event logs on client - see below.

Source MsiInstaller
EventID 11722

Product: Symantec Endpoint Protection -- Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action Sav10UninstallFix, location: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI23.tmp, command:

Tried running install manually still no good.... the same error

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

Baumbach's picture

This worked for me

Re-install Version 10.x on the computer that you cannot install 11.x on

Install Version 10.x then reboot. Then upgrade to version 11.x, this is a whole lot faster than running the Symantec Clean Wipe and or trying to manually uninstall old version and Symantec Anti-Virus

I spent more than a day on this, I called Symantec support and they even emailed me and had me run their Clean Wipe Utility, which did not solve the problem.

It seems Symantec EndPoint 11.x has issues sometimes installing on a computer that has or had version 10x.

NCD_AUS's picture
Thanks for that, this seemed to fix the first issue.  Now all i need to do is work out why my client isn't automatically registering in SEP Manager... Your help was most appreciated, thanks again.
JonasL's picture
I found another way. Install "Windows Installer CleanUp" from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 and remove Symantec Antivirus from the list. Then reinstall Endpoint protection on the client.

Message Edited by JonasL on 02-07-2008 04:34 AM

henryc's picture
Thank you so much for your post.  Symantec tools did not cleanup the 10.0 install.  The Windows Installer Clean-up tool is the golden ticket.  Finally I can install 10.1.6.
ddn's picture
I am recieving this error too on windows 2003 enterprise server. Tried out every way as per discussed here for no avail. The error log:
"Event Type: Error
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11722
Date:  5/15/2008
Time:  5:03:38 PM
User:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: RODDNDB
Description:
Product: Symantec Endpoint Protection -- Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action Sav10UninstallFix, location: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI110.tmp, command:
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 7b 46 42 38 41 34 45 33   {FB8A4E3
0008: 30 2d 39 39 31 35 2d 34   0-9915-4
0010: 38 31 34 2d 41 44 46 39   814-ADF9
0018: 2d 34 32 45 30 30 44 39   -42E00D9
0020: 46 44 43 33 44 7d         FDC3D} 

Please suggest how to rectify.

thanks ,
DDN
Senrats's picture

I had the same problem. I tried multiple install methods: install locally, deploy, install with the happy SEPM upgrade, install with MSI with switches, and more. I got the same error on all attempts.

I couldn't go to every machine and uninstall/reinstall AV and/or run th MS Clean Up Utility, like a lot of techs are doing. After a lot of troubleshooting, I discovered a reg key that was left over from SAV10. This Reg key probably gets deleted when you run the MS Installer Cleanup Utility or the Symantec Uninstall Utility. I hope this helps everybody, but don't forget to backup your registry before attempting.

I deleted this key and everything started working (I replaced a lot of the numbers with "xxxx" because I am not sure if it is some number specific to my company):

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\32Fxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx504

I deleted the "32Fxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx504" key and all sub keys under it (There aren't a lot).

If you can't find the number, then look at all of the items under the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products" folder

MORE Reg Key INFO:

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\32Fxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx504
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 4/15/2009 - 6:41 PM
Value 0
Name: ProductName
Type: REG_SZ
Data: Symantec AntiVirus

Value 1
Name: PackageCode
Data: 5A6xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx1E3C

Value 2
Name: Language
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 0x409

Value 3
Name: Version
Data: 0xa0007d0

Value 4
Name: Assignment
Data: 0x1

Value 5
Name: AdvertiseFlags
Data: 0x104

Value 6
Name: ProductIcon
Data: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{46Bxxxx3-2xxA-4xx5-Axx7-xxxxxxxE40}\ARPPRODUCTICON.exe

Value 7
Name: InstanceType
Data: 0x0

Value 8
Name: AuthorizedLUAApp
Data: 0x0

Value 9
Name: Clients
Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
Data: :

INSTALL ERROR:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11722
Date: 4/22/2009
Time: 4:04:40 PM
User: TNB\jons
Computer: ITADMIN2
Description:
Product: Symantec Endpoint Protection -- Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action Sav10UninstallFix, location: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI374.tmp, command:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 7b 43 31 42 30 42 44 43 {C1B0BDC
0008: 38 2d 30 36 32 34 2d 34 8-0624-4
0010: 30 33 36 2d 39 30 44 31 036-90D1
0018: 2d 46 37 44 46 30 45 45 -F7DF0EE
0020: 38 43 39 36 44 7d 8C96D}

"Trust, but verify."

JeremyTan's picture

Hi everyone,

Has anyone managed to find a permanent fix for this issue? Going to each client machine to uninstall Symantec Antivirus 10.x first is not feasible for us as we have thousands of clients, and one of the pull factors that led to us choosing SEP was the "ease of deployment". The problem is compounded when the SEP manager reports the installation as "Successful" when in fact it is anything but successful. The support team then has to go through all the machines to see which one didn't install properly, thus wasting large amounts of time.

Symantec, do something about it.

Jeremy

Senrats's picture

We had a GPO that installed SAV 10 (as noted bellow), but removing the GPO still did not fix the issue. I did a force refresh of the GPO and made sure it was not still listed in RSOP. I am looking into a script to remove the registry entry's in my original post.

Here is the link.

Question/Issue:
Why the clients are failing to upgrade to a new version when the package is assigned to the groups from SEPM ?

Symptoms:
Symantec Endpoint Protection Client Update will fails when a new package is assigned to the clients groups from SEPM if the Previous SAV version was installed through GPO and the GPO still exists and activated.

Presence of Symantec AntiVirus MSI instance in Control Panel Add or remove Programs

Install Log will have errors for SAV10 Unsinstallfix.

Manual Push out of the install package works.

Cause:
If the SAV install was done through a GPO and the policy is still exists and activated in AD at each reboot the GPO will try to install SAV and finds that SEP is installed and the install fails as downgrade install is not supported and leaves the Symantec AntiVirus MSI Instance in add or remove programs and the client package downloaded from SEPM fails to install due to the SAV MSI instance being there.

Solution:
1. Remove the SAV MSI instance from add or remove programs using MSI Cleanup Utility found in the following link

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290301

2. Remove the old GPO install SAV from the AD Server.

3. Re-assign the Install Packages to the Client groups from SEPM

Document ID: 2009031803304948
Last Modified: 06/12/2009
Date Created: 03/17/2009
Operating System(s): Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 2000 Server/Advanced Server, Windows XP Professional Edition, Windows Server 2003 Web/Standard/Enterprise/Datacenter Edition, Windows Vista, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
Product(s): Endpoint Protection 11
Release(s): Endpoint Protection 11 [All Releases]

"Trust, but verify."