Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SAVCE 10.1 E-mail interference?

Posted Jul 19, 2007 04:28 PM
    We are having an issue where Outlook 2000/2003 will occasionally give a 0x80042108 error when trying to
    send/receive. A reboot fixes the issue, but not closing/opening Outlook or a logoff/logon.
    Systems are running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and XP SP2, with SAVCE 10.1.6.6010.
    There is no active firewall software on any system.
    We aren't ready to point the finger at Symantec yet, but it's starting to look like a possibility.
    Is there any chance anyone else has run into this?

LANTech

• 2.  RE: SAVCE 10.1 E-mail interference?

Posted Jul 20, 2007 11:42 AM
    After more investigation, I think we have narrowed it down to the Outlook or POP3/IMAP plugin
    installed by the 10.1.6.6010 patch. With 10.1.6.6000 and the plugins installed, no problem.
    With 10.1.6.6010 , but no e-mail plugins installed no problem.
    I'd still like to hear if anyone else is experiencing any similar symptoms and any fixes.

• 3.  RE: SAVCE 10.1 E-mail interference?

Posted Aug 02, 2007 11:18 AM
    I just upgraded to 10.1.6.6010 and we have been observing what appears to be the same problem.

The first person to log in can use e-mail; log out and log in again (same or different user) and connections to POP servers fail.  I don't have the error number handy.  It doesn't matter whether e-mail is used before the first logout.  The same problem exists for all users on the machine.

Environment:  Windows XP (fully updated).  Outlook 2003 and Eudora (same symptoms no matter which mail program is used).  SpamPal.

There's no proof Symantec is the problem, but we haven't identified any other change to the system that correlates with the start of the problem.

B.J.

• 4.  RE: SAVCE 10.1 E-mail interference?

Posted Aug 05, 2007 05:55 PM
    Yep, I had originally posted on this site that it was a problem with Symantec Client Security 3.1.6.6010, not SAV, because I hadn't had any complaints at all on systems with only SAV 10.1.6.6010 installed, only with systems with SCS that had been patched to build 6010.  I did of course originally test a SAV-only system, but that was before I discovered ports 25 and 110 are being blocked only after the second login on a workstation.

Now that I read these other posts about the same problem, I did more testing and confirmed that it does also happen on a SAV-only install of 10.1.6.6010.  I also found that the problem is with having the "Internet E-mail Auto-Protect" feature enabled.  When I disabled that and rebooted, ports 25 and 110 were not blocked on the second login attempt as they had with that feature enabled (or even when I tested just changing the ports on the Internet E-mail Auto-Protect configuraton screen to something other than the default 25 and 110).

• 5.  RE: SAVCE 10.1 E-mail interference?

Posted Aug 06, 2007 08:41 AM
    Between this thread an a couple of others, it seems that we're building a consensus of an issue with the e-mail filter in version 10.1.6.6010. Anyone know how to report a bug?