Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  SBS 2003 Crashing when EndPoint Embedded Database Service is Running

Posted Jul 06, 2009 10:18 AM
    I have several clients successfully running the Endpoint 11.0.4x software on Windows 2003 SBS servers with 4 to 15 users. At two other client sites, I've been experiencing random server lockups sometimes days apart and other times hours apart. The only method to bring the servers back online is to performed a hard power cycle - not good.

After many hours of research, I tracked the problem down to the Symantec Embedded Database service. Both servers will run for weeks without issue with that service turned off. Within 24 hours of turning the service back on, the servers will lockup and became totally non-responsive.

Nothing is written to a dump file or system event log, and no blue screen of death appears. I've also tried installing the 11.0.42 updates, but no change to the crashing, Any suggestions?

• 2.  RE: SBS 2003 Crashing when EndPoint Embedded Database Service is Running

Posted Jul 06, 2009 06:07 PM
    I would recommend contacting Support and getting you logs to them. they might be able to help you with data collection.

Also have you looked into SEP SBE 12.0 ? This is a new product created specifically for Small Business customers. It has been optimized to work in that environment. However it does use the Embedded database so not sure if you will see the same issue on those two servers.

• 3.  RE: SBS 2003 Crashing when EndPoint Embedded Database Service is Running

Posted Jul 07, 2009 12:37 PM
    MSeling - The embedded database is a licensed version of Sybase.  It is a user mode application (no kernel components).  A hard lock from such an application (to me) points to a hardware issue on some of these boxes.  Are the boxes overclocked (cpu or memory).  Have you tested the memory on the box?  Given the database footprint a likely scenario is having it enabled is changing the overall system memory layout in such a way that some kernel pages are hitting a bad memory chip.  Could you try a mem test overnight on one of the affected machines?

• 4.  RE: SBS 2003 Crashing when EndPoint Embedded Database Service is Running

Posted Jul 17, 2009 10:53 AM
    @ MSeling, Can you give us an update on your issue?

Thanks,
    Thomas