Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  SBS 2008 Console and SEP

Posted Mar 25, 2011 10:17 PM

Hi folks,

I'm running SBS 2008 and I have another server running Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.  My clients are running the Symantec Client 11.0.6.

In the SBS console, if I go to the security window, I see a critical status message with regards to anti-virus and spyware.  When I click on it, the list of machines on the network come up, and the Windows XP computers all show green checks and that they have Symantec installed.  All of my Windows 7 machines return "There are no anti-virus products found".  They all have SEP installed and working.  On the SEP server, they all show up, scheduled scans work, etc.

Why is SBS not picking this up, and is there something I need to do to enable it?  Anyone seen this, is it a firewall/communication issue with Windows 7?

Thanks,

Mike

• 2.  RE: SBS 2008 Console and SEP

Posted Mar 26, 2011 06:55 AM

Hi Mike,

If clients are getting updated from SEP Manager and obeying the commands issued from the manager. Then Windows security center messages should not be problem.

OPEN SEP Manager

-> Click Policies tab.

-> Look for the AV policy that is applied to your groups.

->Edit the policy.

-> Look for miscellaneous options under "windows settings".

-> Look for option "Display antivirus alerts within Windows Security Center'

disable it...

regards

karthik

• 3.  RE: SBS 2008 Console and SEP

Posted Mar 28, 2011 01:56 PM

Panache,

The policy I'm using is the default/recommended policy from Symantec.  And the checkbox you lead me to was enabled, so I will disable it and see what happens.  I would assume it shouldn't take more than a day to update after this change, so I will monitor it and report back.

Thanks for the reply.

Mike

• 4.  RE: SBS 2008 Console and SEP

Posted Apr 01, 2011 06:13 AM

Mike,

Symantec release notes says, that it was a know issue and was fixed with the release of MR4 MP2,

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=tech103087

I’m running win server 2008 R2 and Win 7 with SEP 11.0.6 MP1 clients and I don’t seem to have these problems....

If I were you and wanted to spare some time to dig into it,

Then I will make sure the clients throwing these error messages, are not running multiple AV programs, Disable Windows defender as that’s an AV program of Windows

(Users have the tendency to install Malware bytes n other freeware AV program, if they had the privilege).

If you are using NTP of SEP 11 disable it.

If you are not using NTP, disable Windows firewall.

Regards

Karthik