SBS 2011 restore - Exchange Server issue on client side
I have finally got my restore to work, but now have another issue.
All seems fine apart from Outlook 2010 on the client side. When I login as a roaming user and try to send a new e-mail in Outlook, it sits there thinking for a while with the message "Contacting the server for information". It does eventually (after about a minute) pop up the new message window and allow me to send e-mail, but it's the delay that concerns me.
Also, all users are configured in cached exchange mode. I noticed that the e-mail is not up to date - it only includes the e-mail received the last time they logged in to the PC. I could untick cached exchange mode, but it's kind of a requirement for the system.