Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  SBS2008 - Mail Security isn't block much spam

Posted Feb 24, 2009 04:52 PM

To make a long story short, I am a MCSA and administer approx 40 SBS2003 networks and now 3 SBS2008 networks. I sell all my clients off on Symantec Multi-Tier Protection and have loved the spam filtering for many years. With my new SBS2008 networks, the spam filtering in the Symantec Mail Security is a joke! It only catches what I have determined to be approx 1/3 to 1/4 of spam.

Is anyone else having this problem? If so, have you solved it so it works as well as it does for SBS2003 (Exchange 2003)?

I have tried disabling the Exchange 2007 filtering, but that didn't help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

• 2.  RE: SBS2008 - Mail Security isn't block much spam

Posted Feb 24, 2009 05:46 PM

Hello Stephen,

What version of Mail Security are you using? Is this Mail Security for Exchange?

Please let us know.

Thanks!

• 3.  RE: SBS2008 - Mail Security isn't block much spam

Posted Feb 24, 2009 06:14 PM

Yes, we are running SMS for Exchange. We are currently running verions 6.0.7.253. I just downloaded 6.0.8.262, which I plan to install tonight in hopes that it might help. Have you heard of any other SBS2008 users complaining about a lot of spam? Thanks for you help!!

• 4.  RE: SBS2008 - Mail Security isn't block much spam

Posted Feb 24, 2009 06:37 PM

I haven't heard of anything specifically to that end, however, I don't support the product directly either. I am on many of the same distribution lists as that team though so if this were a wide spread issue I would most likely hear about it. The Symantec Brightmail forum is for the Brightmail line of products so we don't directly work with MSE. But I'll see what I can do.

So to clarify, are you licensed for the premium anti-spam portion of the product? If not, are you just using our heuristics detection for blocking of spam?

Thanks!

Tom

• 5.  RE: SBS2008 - Mail Security isn't block much spam

Posted Feb 25, 2009 10:31 AM

Yes, we are licensed for both AntiVirus filtering and AntiSpam. Please let me know if you can dig anything up! Thanks for you help.

• 6.  RE: SBS2008 - Mail Security isn't block much spam

Posted Feb 25, 2009 12:38 PM

Hello again Stephen,

So I talked to our MSE team and it was suggested to go through the following document. Title: 'Premium AntiSpam for Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange fails to detect spam' This should verify whether or not we are at least working as designed.

He also did mention that the 6.x version on Exchange 2007 does not have content filtering because of a limitation in the Exchange 2007 architecture. So this might also be attributing to what you are seeing. 

Past this, I am most likely not going to be very helpful and you may want to either post in the correct forum or give a call to support. Emphasis on the latter.

I hope this helps!

Thanks!

Tom

• 7.  RE: SBS2008 - Mail Security isn't block much spam

Posted Feb 25, 2009 01:04 PM

Post moved to Groupware forum.

//ian 

• 8.  RE: SBS2008 - Mail Security isn't block much spam

Posted Feb 26, 2009 03:13 PM

Hello All,

My statement on content filtering in Exchange 2007 not working has not been verified. I retract that statement for the time being and will wait until someone who actually supports the product to comment on this.

Thanks!

Tom