Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  SEE 11.0.1 MP1 upgrade requires the original install person to upgrade

Posted Sep 05, 2015 02:43 AM

This was an old issue for Symantec Endpoint Encryption Management Server (SEEM) product, only the original install person can upgrade the product to the next version. We knew this issue and even opened a case with Symantec, before we ran the upgrade this time, we checked the release note and noticed it mentioned this issue was resolved, by the way, the original installer is no longer available, so we had to have another administrator to run the upgrade from 11.0.1 to 11.0.1 MP1, when we have a different administrator to run the upgrade, the error message "This product is installed for another user. Please logon as the original user in order to upgrade this product." was displayed, the person to run upgrade has the local administrator privilege, so it is not privilege issue.

Does anyone else also had such issue before and any work around you found? I hated to reinstall all the management servers.

• 2.  RE: SEE 11.0.1 MP1 upgrade requires the original install person to upgrade

Posted Oct 04, 2015 08:55 PM

I am having the same issue as well when trying to perfom the upgrade from 11.0.0 to 11.0.1 and the original installer is no longer working with us ,I will open a case with Symantec this week to see if they have any workaround other than reinstalling :(

• 3.  RE: SEE 11.0.1 MP1 upgrade requires the original install person to upgrade

Posted Oct 28, 2015 07:58 AM

I did the upgrade 11.0 to 11 MP1 without issue at the server.

But i´m having issue to upgrade the machine SEE (agent, removable and drive).... I´ve already tried the upgrade steps by the upgarde guide and from this KB and nothing worked. https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO106997.html

I opened a case with support team so they can help me.

• 4.  RE: SEE 11.0.1 MP1 upgrade requires the original install person to upgrade
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 28, 2015 10:47 AM

The issue only happens on the upgrade path from the legacy product from SEE 8.2.x to SEE 11.0.1 and then upgrade to SEE 11.0.1 MP1, if your environment was built staring with SEE 11.0.1 then you will should not experience the issue.

Symantec has already had a SEE 11.0.1 MP1 HF1 which addressed the isse (intall and upgrade are different administrators). I have run a couple of tests in our environment and confirmed the issue was addressed.

With regarding your issue, since you have already had SEE management server succesfully installed, it is safe for you to uninstall SEE agent, encryption drive, removable storage and reinstall those components. One thing I noticed that some administrators does not check if there are any mmc process was running at the background, on server 2008, it started automatically, you will need to close the mmc process before running the SEE agent and other components upgrade, otherwise you will experience the error warning 25017. if you do not want to uninstall and reinstall the components, click OK when the erorr prompted to end the installation, then check the mmc proces and kill it (not just SEEM laucn mmc, some of the Windows console launches it as well), run the SEE agent and other components installation again, it will complete to the end.