Endpoint Encryption

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEE 7.0.5 Removable Storage Edition (unable to locate a drive)

• 1.  SEE 7.0.5 Removable Storage Edition (unable to locate a drive)

Posted Apr 01, 2010 03:12 AM
    Hi everyone

We upgraded all our clients from SEE 7.0.x  to 7.0.5 because of significant performance advantages. However, now we're unable to use the 'SEE Removable Storage Encryption CD-DVD Burner'. It starts with the following error message:
    'The application was unable to locate a drive capable of writing data to disc.'

However all our devices have dvd burn devices. Different models affected.

What can I do here?
    Thanks for any help.

Kind regards
    Roland

• 2.  RE: SEE 7.0.5 Removable Storage Edition (unable to locate a drive)

Posted Apr 01, 2010 03:32 AM
    Hi,

I would like to know on any of the client machines have you tried reinstalling SEE removable storage and check if that resolves the issue ??

can you list the make and the model of the machines that are affected ?

• 3.  RE: SEE 7.0.5 Removable Storage Edition (unable to locate a drive)

Posted Apr 01, 2010 05:27 AM
    Hi

We encounter this issue even on machines, that had no RS installed before the upgrade (and clean install of RS).
    We're using HP dc7900 sff (Desktops) and HP EliteBook 6930p (Notebooks).

Thanks for your support.

Kind regards
    Roland

• 4.  RE: SEE 7.0.5 Removable Storage Edition (unable to locate a drive)

Posted Apr 01, 2010 05:49 AM
    did you try uninstalling the see application and then tried installing it again ...??

• 5.  RE: SEE 7.0.5 Removable Storage Edition (unable to locate a drive)

Posted Apr 01, 2010 08:14 AM
    Unfortunately, uninstalling and installing SEE 7.0.5 RS didn't help.

During installation I get the following error, maybe this is correlated:

"Error 1931. The Windows Installer service cannot update the system file C:\WINDOWS\system32\msxml6r.dll because the file is protected by Windows. You may need to update your operating system for this program to work correctly."

• 6.  RE: SEE 7.0.5 Removable Storage Edition (unable to locate a drive)

Posted Jun 23, 2010 10:18 AM
    We are also seeing this same problem.  I have some machines that work and others of the same hardware config with the same CD DVD burner that do not.  Removing and reinstalling the RS piece has not helped.

• 7.  RE: SEE 7.0.5 Removable Storage Edition (unable to locate a drive)

Posted Jul 13, 2010 07:12 AM
    Just reinstalled a notebook and installed SEE 7.0.6 from scratch (Framework, Full Disk Edition, Removable Storage Edition). And I still got the error 'The application was unable to locate a drive capable of writing data to disc.'

Any news on this?

• 8.  RE: SEE 7.0.5 Removable Storage Edition (unable to locate a drive)

Posted Jul 13, 2010 10:54 AM
    I think you might be best logging a call with Symantec - there seems to be less use of RS and thus less knowledge on it in the forum..

• 9.  RE: SEE 7.0.5 Removable Storage Edition (unable to locate a drive)

Posted Jul 14, 2010 09:21 AM
    I second that David!

I do also remember reading on here somehwere that no matter what you did tit wouldn't work on a ceetain  odel HP desktop - not sure if related.

When I get to test on IBM and Dell will post if get the same issue.

• 10.  RE: SEE 7.0.5 Removable Storage Edition (unable to locate a drive)

Posted Aug 06, 2010 10:03 AM

I have the same issue with some of our users.

I noticed that all users that encountered this issue had normal user privileges, and not administrative.

I tried giving some of these users administrative privileges, and funnily enough SEE was able to locate the drive capable of writing data to disc.

obviously giving administrative privileges to the user is not always a possible/suitable workaround