Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  SEMS Upgrade frpm 3.2.1 and 3.3.2

Posted Aug 02, 2014 03:55 PM

Hi,

My client is planning for upgrading the PGP US 3.2.1 to SEMS 3.3.2 MP1.

I would like to have some recomendation on the procedure to follow to complete this activity without any critical issues.

In the Upgrade Guide and Release Notes there are few steps and it goes and says as just like that.

But anyone had any issues during the upgrade if so what are they and how to over come?

To be frank I never woked on Linux, but now it is on my way.

Could someone recomend/ suggest some videos on how to go on this if not atleast steps to follow.

Thank you

• 2.  RE: SEMS Upgrade frpm 3.2.1 and 3.3.2

Posted Aug 02, 2014 11:22 PM

here is upgrade guide

Symantec Encryption Management Server 3.3.2 Upgrade Guide

Article:DOC7068  | Created: 2013-12-11  | Updated: 2014-02-28  | Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC7068

• 3.  RE: SEMS Upgrade frpm 3.2.1 and 3.3.2

Posted Aug 04, 2014 06:58 AM

Hi James, Thank you. This document gives the test environment procedure.

But I am looking for the steps that who have done the Production environment upgrade and their experiences and troubleshooting steps if any. I am not looking for the standard product document. Hope you also know well that working on test server is different from the Production server.

Thank you

• 4.  RE: SEMS Upgrade frpm 3.2.1 and 3.3.2
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 04, 2014 05:35 PM

In my experience, there can be some advantages to doing the upgrade as a migration as opposed to using PUP updates.

First, if there are any schema changes in a new version, there can be some issues when doing the PUP updates, which will have to move the data, attempt to change the schema, then re-import the data if a table change is made.  If importing the Org Key and Backup during a migration, since the server is effectively new and empty to start, it will already have the adjusted schema, and only needs to import the data from the respective tables.

Second, I like the flexibility that a migration offers (particularly in a virtual environment).  If for any reason your migration fails, you can simply bring the old servers back online while working on a solution, or attempting to migrate again.  It works on hardware as well, but then you would be occupying multiple physical boxes per server.

Lastly, since you are on a version prior to 3.3.0, you would need to apply two PUP updates to get to current version.  You could migrate directly to the current verson (3.3.2 mp2).

The main questions I would have for you are:

Is it a single server, or a cluster?

What features are in use (i.e. Web Messenger, Email Encryption, Whole Disk Encryption, NetShare)?

Is it on hardware, or VMware?

• 5.  RE: SEMS Upgrade frpm 3.2.1 and 3.3.2

Posted Aug 05, 2014 02:48 PM

Thank you Mike for your inputs for my requirement.

If importing the Org Key and Backup during a migration, since the server is effectively new and empty to start, it will already have the adjusted schema, and only needs to import the data from the respective tables.

In this situation is there any problem while importing the data? Need to do any adjustments?

Is it a single server, or a cluster? It is a Cluster

What features are in use (i.e. Web Messenger, Email Encryption, Whole Disk Encryption, NetShare)? Mainly for WDE (SED) and there are very few users for mail.

Is it on hardware, or VMware? It is VMWare.

Thank you

Harsha