Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 11.0 and 12.0 SBE do not update IPS.

Posted Sep 21, 2012 01:03 PM

Full Title: Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 and 12.0 Small Business Edition clients do not update Intrusion Prevention Signatures.

1. Symantec shipped seven IPS definition updates between September 5 and September 13, 2012.
    2. Explanation published 2012-09-18! TECH 196871.

I have 2 clients that would not update. By chance i found that out by logging in on the server console because of other - unrelated?- problems:
    which were reported by my notfication system on the evening of Sept 20th and reviewed my me Sept 21st 09:30AM (GMT+1).
    A: (Java Heap Error/GC Overhead)
    B: Symsvc service stopped

I restarted Symsvc successfully, read about "A" in outdated posts in Forums on 11.X and 12.1 and decided to wait.

Then I went to the problem of "Security Status - ATTENTION NEEDED". Tried to search intelligently on Google/Symantec, but found only complicated possible solutions, again referring to 11.X or 12.1, not 12.0.X.

Tried some simple remedies like Local LiveUpdate, Repair on client, LiveUpdate from Management Console. No dice.

3. Went home in frustration, logged in to the "improved" Symantec Connect, and Viola:-), found the above.

Surprise! Then to lean back and see what happens next....

Comments:
    -Delay between problem and information: 6 days or more
    -No report in notification system on outdated clients IPS (Have I missed something?)
    -We are set up to receive important notices on 12.0, not a whisker.

Rgds Kelwin
    On SEP SBE 12.0.199X on SBS 2003 with 7x XP & 1x WIN7-64

• 2.  RE: SEP 11.0 and 12.0 SBE do not update IPS.

Posted Sep 21, 2012 06:41 PM

Kelwin,

Thank you for your post.

Symantec created a knowledge base article for our customers as soon as we fully understood root cause and the steps needed to remediate the issue.

Please feel free to PM me regarding any additional questions or concerns, and I would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Cameron W

• 3.  RE: SEP 11.0 and 12.0 SBE do not update IPS.

Posted Sep 22, 2012 11:06 AM
    Update received and installed correctly some time during the night to Sept 22nd. If there exists a mailing list forewarning of problems under investigation, I have been unable to find it.