Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 11.0 managed V/S unmanged pros and drawbacks

Posted Mar 14, 2009 05:26 AM

Dear All,

Right know we are using unmanged SEP 11.0.

Planning to migrate from unmanaged to managed. Before doing i just wanted to know the features and opinion about this change.

Please let me know your experience with the issue if you have done this already.

Thanks

Murari

• 2.  RE: SEP 11.0 managed V/S unmanged pros and drawbacks
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 16, 2009 05:00 AM

If you have 4-5 computers.Then un0managed will be a good option.If you have laptops that rarely come log into the network or most work from home still unmanaged will be a good option.

But if you have more than 5-10 computers in the network.Then having a SEPM manager would be a good option.

Managed vs Unmanaged

Only the SEPM will download the defintions and all the clients will retreive it from SEPM.In unmanaged all clients will download the definitions.

In Managed environment

You can monitor all the clients activity and logs at one view.You can set or change policies whenever you want

However in unmanaged you will have to go to computer to computer to do that.

So if you have more than 5-10 computer all in the network Having a manager will be the right option.

• 3.  RE: SEP 11.0 managed V/S unmanged pros and drawbacks

Posted Apr 21, 2009 03:23 AM
     Managed anyday as you can set any policies from dealing with threats, scan exclusions, Intrusion and firewall policies. As an admin, I would never leave this to the employees to change such settings. Plus, you dont have all desktops connecting to internet for donwloading definitions

• 4.  RE: SEP 11.0 managed V/S unmanged pros and drawbacks

Posted Apr 21, 2009 03:27 AM
    if you have a lot of computers then manage option and a SEPM is surely required, as it will ease your work....

• 5.  RE: SEP 11.0 managed V/S unmanged pros and drawbacks

Posted Apr 21, 2009 05:50 AM
    Need to know how these clients are connected to your LAN/WAN.  If they don't connect often, unmanaged may be better or managed with using Symantec's LU servers for definition updates as a secondary source for LU.  There is no "one solution" as every environment is different.  Give us more details about your network and clients and how often they *can* connect to a local SEPM server (along with any more requirements - policies, settings, etc.) and I'm sure you will find solutions taylored to your needs.

• 6.  RE: SEP 11.0 managed V/S unmanged pros and drawbacks

Posted Apr 22, 2009 01:05 PM
    How many computers do you have? I don't think it is advisable to move to unmanaged client from managed one. For unmanaged case if won't have any control to centrally manage those clients and that will be a big issue. For a big user network it is always advisable to have managed client network with client-server architecture.