Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 11.0.4014 on Vista 64-bit

Posted May 19, 2009 02:43 PM
    I was unable to remove this client on a Vista 64-bit machine (it would hang at the last part of uninstallation), so I followed the below link to manually uninstall the client (it is unmanaged).  After doing this, I am not able to able to log onto the network at all (I imagine it has to do with the teefer2 portion on the last part of the document) and the strange part is, when I get to the logon screen to sign onto my domain, the keyboard ceases to function.  As soon as it comes to the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen to login, the keyboard just stops working.

However, I do know the keyboard is working, and I am able to use it to get into the computers bios, and get into safe-mode.  I have also been using this keyboard for the last week prior to doing this.  And I have tried 3 other keyboards in the event the keyboard failed.  So needless to say, I can't get into my windows installation to do any troubleshooting.

This started to happen as soon as I went through the step by step instructions here:

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/714e764f97fb24d488257509000042b2?OpenDocument

Does anyone know why this has happened all of a sudden?  I'm at a point where I'm either going to have to reinstall windows, or do a factory restore of the machine..  :(

Thanks

• 2.  RE: SEP 11.0.4014 on Vista 64-bit

Posted May 19, 2009 02:56 PM
    Okay, here are some possibilities to fixing your problem.

First.
    Is your keyboard USB or PS2?
    If it's USB, try using a PS2 keyboard or vice versa and see if that will help at all.

Second.
    Do you have Remote Desktop Enabled on the machine?  Can you get into it using a remote terminal?
    Do you have any other "remote administration" tools?  I.E.  Remotely anywhere, remote desktop, logmein, VNC, etc.?

Third.
    You said, you can get into the system in safe mode using the keyboard.  As unusual as it may be, you might be able to use the cleanwipe utility.
    You might be able to reinstall the product, which should restore functionality.
    You might be to do a rollback of your system (system restore) if enabled.

Fourth.
    If 1 and 2 have not worked, and you want to skip over 3...  There does exist an application called XVNC. 
    What this will allow you to do, is take over your machine, without the need of having VNC client installed on the client.  Certain conditions need to be true for this to work:
    - port 5800 must be open
    - you must be on the same subnet as the machine
    - you must be able to authenticate to the machine; the machine you are on has administrative priviledges over the network/domain
    - OR matching versions of JAVA.

Fifth.
    You can create an MSI package for one of the tools mentionned above in "Second." and using a GPO policy pointed specifically at your problem machine, initiate an installation of said remote login software.  Once the GPO is applied, reboot the machine for the installation to take place.  Once installed, you can use remote connectivity to the machine in order to rectify the problem you are having.

• 3.  RE: SEP 11.0.4014 on Vista 64-bit

Posted May 19, 2009 03:08 PM
    Hey Jason,

The keyboard is USB, I would try a ps2 keyboard but the computer (HP) only has ports for USB, and doesn't have options for a PS2 keyboard/mouse.

Remote desktop is enabled, but after following the steps in that link, I no longer have a network connection, and can't even ping the machine from another machine on the LAN.  

I can get to the main screen in safe-mode which prompts for credentials to log in, to actually get into a profile.  The keyboard stops working, so I can't type ctrl-alt-del to get into a profile on the machine.  Because of this, I can't reinstall the product, or access any system restore options.

I have used a different flavor of VNC before (TightVNC) but since the computer does not seem to have a network connection anymore after this, I can't use any means to remotely manage/connect to the machine.

I think this options is moot also, since the network connection decided that it didn't want to work anymore after removing the teefer2 attachments on the network adapter :(

• 4.  RE: SEP 11.0.4014 on Vista 64-bit

Posted May 19, 2009 03:10 PM
    Exactly which part did you get to in the manual uninstall process before you couldn't log in? Did you complete the entire document or get hung up half way?

Two more options I would like to mention to actually be able to log in the machine. One is to simply wait when the alt ctrl dlt screen comes up. Your keyboard could be working (probably not but just a thought) and is just waiting for your machine to catch up for a second. The other thought I had is to boot into the machine using a linux live cd. Once inside you can backup any neccessary files ect. I have also heard it is possible to bypass the windows login screen by editing some windows files. Don't quote me on this, since I have never done it myself but it is something you might want to look into. Jasons ideas above are better but if you are like me then you only want to reformat when EVERYTHING else has been tried.

Cheers
    Grant

• 5.  RE: SEP 11.0.4014 on Vista 64-bit

Posted May 19, 2009 03:47 PM
    I know the type of machines you are using.  I have the same ones here.  30 of them to be exact, and the reason I have been so hesitant to install SEP on them (one they are in 64 bit and 2 exactly for this reason).

We have had issues where, the Network decides it does not want to work anymore on these machines...  When this happens, I can usually get in through the local interfaces with a USB hub and the peripherals connected to it.  Obviously not the case for you.

Unfortunately, you are running out of options for this machine.  If you are familiar with Linux and can use the backup of the data, than what Grant has suggested is a good idea.  There are indeed ways of bypassing the logon screen as he mentionned, however, they would require modification of the registry, which at this point, we are incapable of doing. 

No network conectivity, most likely because it is being blocked is very bad.

So we come down to some last resort type solutions:

Vista x64 with or without Service Pack 1?

Using your Original Vista CD, place it in the machine, and reboot.  Boot off the CD, and you will be prompted to Install or Repair.  (Just like XP) Choose to install.  It will promot you with the license agreement,  F8 to continue.  It will than "scan for previous installations of Windows", again prompting for Repair or Install.  This time choosing "repair" will restore all Windows files back to their original formats, pre "updates".  

If you have SP1, and you do not have the SP1 DVD on hand, you can use NLITE (http://www.nliteos.com/  ) to create a slipstreamed DVDincluding SP1. 

**Important Note**
    If using a slipstreamed DVD, DO NOT make it unattended.  This is important, because doing so will NOT prompt you for the repair options listed above, as it will skip immediately to the partition creation portion.

More information and in more detail can be found here:
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

• 6.  RE: SEP 11.0.4014 on Vista 64-bit

Posted May 19, 2009 04:06 PM
    Well now it looks like we have the keyboard up and running now....  Now I can log into a profile on the machine, but don't have any type of network connection following those instructions...  Reinstalling TCP\IP doesn't seem to help any.

• 7.  RE: SEP 11.0.4014 on Vista 64-bit

Posted May 19, 2009 05:03 PM
    Define re-installing TCP/IP?  Network properties?

The better to go about is to simply wipe the Registry values for Network settings...

Start -> Run (search) -> CMD

NETSH <cr>
    Int ip reset log.txt <cr>

Reboot.

the more drastic approach, used only if above fails would be:

netsh winsock reset <cr>

Reboot.

Before performing the above winsock reset, you should run netsh winsock show catalog first...