Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEP 11.0.5 clients preventing from Hot Swapping out drives;

• 1.  SEP 11.0.5 clients preventing from Hot Swapping out drives;

Posted May 19, 2010 05:25 PM
    We have several Windows 2003 servers and XP Pro systems that have the full 11.0.5000 Endpoint Protection client installed and after this install/upgrade from v10.5 we're no longer able to hot swap out the backup drives.
    The systems still run Backup Exec 10d which isn't the issue here as that works just fine but just after the Endpoint client installation it fails to hotswap out the drive because it keeps saying it's in use.
    We've created the Centralized Exception for this drive but any hot swap application still keeps saying the drive is in use.

Any suggestions on what could be accessing the drive would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,

• 2.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 clients preventing from Hot Swapping out drives;

Posted May 19, 2010 05:30 PM

• 3.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 clients preventing from Hot Swapping out drives;

Posted May 19, 2010 05:46 PM
    Thank you for the quick reply!
    We actually haven't found the Symantec Backup Exec 10d backups running any slower on systems with the SEP client installed.
    The backups run fine as mentioned however something from SEP is accessing the drive we need to swap out daily so it keeps failing.

We're looking at these settings and apply those to the client which needs to swap out the drive and see if that works any better..

Thanks

• 4.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 clients preventing from Hot Swapping out drives;

Posted May 19, 2010 06:08 PM

Edward,

You should try upgrading the Symantec Endpoint Protection clients on one of the affected machines to RU6a (11.0.6005.562) and see if this makes any difference for your issue.

There were a significant amount of bugs fixed between RU5 and RU6a. I don't specifically that the newer version would fix your issue, but I would definitly give it a shot. I've seen a number of issues fixed with the new version.

If that does not resolve your issue, I would recommend calling into our support services and speaking to a technician.

Regards,
    James

• 5.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 clients preventing from Hot Swapping out drives;

Posted May 19, 2010 07:48 PM
    Yeah I am actually suggesting calling in as well. Only because this isn't a issue we see a lot of in the forums (and one we don't have a lot of documentation about). Also since it could be caused by a interaction of two products, it seems less likely that someone here will be able to help. We will certainly try though :) . If you do make a case about this please post your case number here because we can follow the case that way and provide you with feedback.

Cheers
    Grant

• 6.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 clients preventing from Hot Swapping out drives;

Posted May 20, 2010 01:07 PM
    Ok, thanks for the replies.
    I am a bit suprised however nobody had come across this behaviour. Is nobody else hot swapping out backup drives with an SEP client installed?
    As we're upgrading our client we noticed very consistantly as soon as SEP is installed it has problems swapping out the drive because it's being accessed...

Do we require some kind of paid support contract in order for them to help us out?
    What number do you suggest we should call?

Thank you!

Regards,

• 7.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 clients preventing from Hot Swapping out drives;

Posted May 20, 2010 01:42 PM
    >> am a bit suprised however nobody had come across this behaviour. Is nobody else hot swapping out backup drives with an SEP client installed?<<

Could mean also that others aren't seeing the issue, so could be an interaction with your particular OS, particular hardware or particular software installed or combination.
    There are as many possible combinations of software and hardware as there are computers..........

• 8.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 clients preventing from Hot Swapping out drives;

Posted May 20, 2010 03:27 PM

Hi Edward,

I suspect that there is something about your particular configuration or environment that has caused the issue you are seeing. If this was a widespread issue with SEP, there would certainly be many posts and knowledgebase articles regarding it.

To answer your question, yes, Symantec Technical Support is paid support. I suggest you contact your Symantec Sales Engineer to determine whether you still have an active support contract with us and, if so, the number you should contact us at.

Regards,
    James

• 9.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 clients preventing from Hot Swapping out drives;

Posted May 20, 2010 04:33 PM
    Thanks again guys,

Yes I know what you mean, there are my factors, however those systems are just bacic Windows 2003 servers or XP Pro and we've just pushed out the managed SEP clients.
    We're just looking at what could be causing this so we can narrow it down. There isn't anything special about these systems and we never had these issues with the older 10.5 version of Antivirus.

Thank you

• 10.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 clients preventing from Hot Swapping out drives;

Posted May 20, 2010 04:49 PM
    11.0.5 had an issue where it liked to put a lock on Drives.  It seemed to happen randomly.  It caused a large issue at my account where it was locking the quorum drives on clusters.

I'm a bit bitter about this issue since I called Symantec about this issue and they said they did not know about any issues with 11.0.5 and clusters.  This was Jan of this year.  I also could not find any information on this issue.  Two weeks later, I find all kinds of KB Articles stating that the issue had been known since the release of 11.0.5 and that there is no workaround.  We finally had to fall back to 11.0.42 on our clusters to get them working again.

We are planning to go to 11.0.6a soon as the issue seems to be fixed from what our testing has shown us.