Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEP 11.0.5 installation problems Win 7 Pro 64 bit

• 1.  SEP 11.0.5 installation problems Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Posted Apr 28, 2010 01:09 PM
    Hello, i recently upgraded my PC from windows 7 home 64bit to professional 64bit. This system was running semantic endpoint protection antivirus 11.0.5 and upon upgrade the live update no longer worked.

I tried the suggested solution on your website to uninstall and reinstall live update to no avail, this was tried multiple times.

I then uninstalled and did a clean wipe using symantec clean wipe program of the SEP 11.0.5 and tried to reinstall.

Now the software wont install at all, it goes to the windows installation wizzard and get partially through then at 99% completion it rolls back to 0% and terminates the installation process. When trying again i get an error message saying my system has pending changes and needs to be restarted. I restart the system and try again, to the same exact probelem over and over.

There is a fix for a similar problem http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007121609023348 and on the forums to remove these lines in the registry key, however it does not work in my case, i have tried to go through this solution multiple times and i get the same problem over and over The SEP 11.0.5 will simply get to 99% then roll back and fail. Is there a solution to this, because simply clearing the registry of the PendingFileRenameOperations does nothing to help the process go to completion, it simply allows it to go to 99% then roll back .

Any help would be much appreciated

• 2.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 installation problems Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Posted Apr 28, 2010 01:23 PM
    If you could post your install log as a file attachment -- or look for "value 3" (without the quotes) and look for 10-15 lines above that for the source of the failure.  (Install log should be under %temp%\SEP_INST.log -- scroll to the end for newest install information.)

I think it has to do with upgrading the OS with SEP still installed.  You may need to do a manual removal.

Title: 'How to manually uninstall the Symantec Endpoint Protection client from Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 2008 R2 64-bit'
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008112116025048

sandra

• 3.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 installation problems Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Posted Apr 28, 2010 01:49 PM
    After Cleanwipe did you install LiveUpdate first?  Try that and see if after you've installed LiveUpdate from the SEP install folder, if you are then able to install SEP successfully.

• 4.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 installation problems Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Posted Apr 28, 2010 02:50 PM

1) Did you run the install with administrator previledge ?

You probably did. but just in case.

2) Which method you use to install.

Did you deploy as .exe or uncompressed ?

• 5.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 installation problems Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Posted Apr 28, 2010 03:00 PM

Have you tried UAC off and install as administrator ?

• 6.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 installation problems Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Posted Apr 28, 2010 03:02 PM
    Hi, You might want to try installing the SEP 11.0.6, this might help you fixing the issue. You can download the patch at the link below: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/downloads.jsp?pid=54619 or you can get the full software at: https://fileconnect.symantec.com you can use your existing SEP 11.x serial number.

• 7.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 installation problems Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Posted Apr 28, 2010 10:49 PM
      |   view attached
    Yes i tried all of my troubleshooting methods running everything as administrator and with the UAC turned off....

i received the install package from the university i am employed at. so i do not have a license key just an exe file which installs the SEP 11.0.5

also i have tried to install live update first after my cleanwipe then i tried to install the SEP, it gives the same problem each time to no avail.

attached is the SEP_INST log file, it was too big as is so i truncated it around the "value 3" that i found in the file .

Thanks again for the help 

Attachment(s)

txt
    SEP_INST_14.txt   539 KB 1 version

• 8.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 installation problems Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Posted Apr 28, 2010 11:25 PM
    The problem is with Live UPdate
    remove liveupdate from add/remove programs
    delete all liveupdate and symantec folder
    install liveupdate(you can find that in CD1 of sep or export package after unchecking single exe; you will get LU) 
    then run the sep install

This document explains it

Windows 7 / 2008 R2 - SEP Client installation rolls back

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009110411364348

• 9.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 installation problems Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Posted Apr 29, 2010 12:18 AM
    @Rafeeq
    this link you provided does not help me at all, i have completely cleaned my computer of all traces of SEP and live update. I do no have a cd, my employer has an exe file on the server entitled sep1105-64bit.exe which i download and use as the installer for SEP. 

i have tried first to install live update from the semantec website then to install using the exe... and i still get the same problem 

• 10.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 installation problems Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Posted Apr 29, 2010 12:23 AM
    in addition, @sandra.g

I appreciate the help, however that manual removal was a complete waste of almost 2 hours... i first used the cleanwipe, then went through the countless registry keys in those directions and not a single entry in those directions were there, cleanwipe does all of this removal for you so the manual removal isnt necessary.

• 11.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 installation problems Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Posted Apr 29, 2010 12:36 AM
    @rafeeq

in addition i also tried to download an install various versions of liveupdate from 

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/liveupdate/

each time it would still fail to install my SEP

• 12.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 installation problems Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Posted Apr 29, 2010 12:49 AM
    Installation of Symantec Endpoint Protection Client rolls back with error LUCHECK.EXE returned 206

Also after uninstalling do as follows
    Delete following folders if present
    C:\Program Files\Symantec
    C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec

Also delete following reg keys
    HKLM\Software\symantec
    HKCU\Software\symantec
    Install Liveupdate then SEP and try..

• 13.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 installation problems Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Posted Apr 29, 2010 08:38 AM
    The issue lies with liveupdate. you need to use dcomcnfg to change some permission on the liveupdate engine. Here is the procedure:

Delete the following folders (if they exist):

C:\Program Files\Symantec

C:\Program Files\Symantec Antivirus

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate

Shutdown the Windows Installer service and then re-register it.

In the Run box, type msiexec /unreg, and then click OK

Next the DCOM permissions should be changed to their default settings:

To Change DCOM permissions:

On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run.

Type the following: dcomcnfg.exe

Click OK.

Perform one of the following:

Expand Component Services, and then expand Computers. Right-click My Computer, and click Properties. On the Default Properties tab, on the Default Impersonation Level menu, click Identify.

Click OK.

Restart the server.

Re-register msiexec (Start > Run > msiexec /regserver)

Attempt the installation again and confirm that it now installs properly.

Hope this helps.

Martial.

• 14.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 installation problems Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Posted Apr 29, 2010 10:17 AM

I'm sorry that manually verifying that there were no remnants left after running Cleanwipe did not resolve it.

I don't recall seeing this document referenced before:

Title: 'The installation of Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client fails and rolls back around the point of registering with LiveUpdate'
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009061614434248

For your convenience, from that document:

In the registry,

Find

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\AppData
    value=%APPDATA%

and change it to

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\AppData
    value=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming

Install SEP client again.

sandra

• 15.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 installation problems Win 7 Pro 64 bit
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 30, 2010 03:48 PM
    I would like to thank you all for your help.

I was finally able to install SEP.

The solution was a combination of all of your advice.

I ran cleanwipe, then checked to make sure every last bit of symantec was removed from my registry and folders.
    i changed that registry vale above
    i then obtained a CD zip of 11.0.6a.. 
    i then installed liveupdate version 3.4 obtained from the ftp on symantec website
    then i ran the setup in the extracted files and it went through fine.

Thanks Again