Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 11.0.5 Installed on Server Causing Poor File Share Performance

Posted Nov 20, 2009 09:17 AM

I am having and issue with XP 32bit and Win Svr 2008 64bit systems both running 11.0.5002.333.  This server is used only for file sharing.  When an XP machine tries to browse the shares they get to watch the flashlight for about one minute and then the files eventually are presented to the user.  However, when I tested this with a Win 7 64bit running the same version there were no problems viewing these files.  After uninstalling SEP from the server the XP users have no problems viewing these shares.  Everything was fine until this week.  Anybody else having this problem?

• 2.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 Installed on Server Causing Poor File Share Performance

Posted Nov 20, 2009 10:32 AM
    I know it should not matter because you have win 7 working fine, but for the file shares is Auto Protect enabled for Access or just Create/Modify?

• 3.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 Installed on Server Causing Poor File Share Performance

Posted Nov 20, 2009 10:52 AM
    Good thought.  I checked the client policy and found that Modified was selected but on the server Accessed or Modified is selected.  I will make the change to just Modified and see if that helps.

• 4.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 Installed on Server Causing Poor File Share Performance

Posted Nov 20, 2009 12:58 PM
    I think it's the default, but you may want to verify that network scanning is off too.   

• 5.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 Installed on Server Causing Poor File Share Performance

Posted Nov 24, 2009 07:44 AM
    I checked both settings but I still have the same situation. 

• 6.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 Installed on Server Causing Poor File Share Performance

Posted Nov 24, 2009 07:52 AM
    What are the components that are installed on the file server

• 7.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 Installed on Server Causing Poor File Share Performance

Posted Nov 24, 2009 08:22 AM
    AV and Antispyware are the only features that are installed on the file server. 

• 8.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 Installed on Server Causing Poor File Share Performance

Posted Nov 24, 2009 08:42 AM
     Disable Tamper Protection and Make necessary folder and file level exclusions.

• 9.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 Installed on Server Causing Poor File Share Performance

Posted Nov 24, 2009 11:53 PM
    Is it a DFS share?

This resembles a problem we've had for years with every version of SEP & SAV up through SEP 11 RU5. As you browse folders with Explorer, it gets slower and slower until it finally hangs. Workaround is to terminate Explorer with Task Manager and restart it. Then the cycle repeats. While this is happening, typing in the Explorer address bar or Start/Run also lags significantly.

If you look at the size of RAM used by Explorer, you can predict when it's going to happen, though I can't recall the numbers. Something like 20KB it gets slow and by the time it gets close to 30KB it hangs. If you go for a while without browsing, Explorer memory usage drops and browsing gets responsive.

Doesn't seem to happen with SMB2 clients (Vista/WS2008 & higher clients against WS2008 & higher servers) but happens with SMB clients against SMB2 servers.

If you disable SEP (or SAV) services, or uninstall it, the problem goes away entirely.

• 10.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 Installed on Server Causing Poor File Share Performance

Posted Nov 25, 2009 07:27 AM
    I disabled Tamper Protection and that seems to have made the problem worse.   DFS is not installed on the system.  Disabling the client does not improve the situation at all so at this point I have had to uninstall the client from the file server for now so that it us usable.  At this point I am being forced to do my testing after hours. 

Hopefully I don't waste my holiday weekend on this. 

• 11.  RE: SEP 11.0.5 Installed on Server Causing Poor File Share Performance

Posted Nov 25, 2009 10:28 AM
    Would suggest you to open a case with Symantec Support..