Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 11.0.5002 on XP SP3

Posted Jun 23, 2010 02:55 PM
    Hello All,

SEP doesn't start at windows startup. When trying to start manually I get a message saying that the Symantec Management Client service is not running. When tyring to run it I get:

Failed to start Symantec Management Client service. Error code returned: 0x8007042c

I followed the instructions here:
    http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009100801450448?Open&seg=ent

But when clicking on start I get:

Could not start the System Notification service on local computer. Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

I tried to remove and reinstall twice, and also repair from control panel.

Help will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Raz

• 2.  RE: SEP 11.0.5002 on XP SP3

Posted Jun 23, 2010 02:59 PM
    Try to install SEP with local admin account and see if that helps

• 3.  RE: SEP 11.0.5002 on XP SP3

Posted Jun 23, 2010 03:12 PM

This is an OS issue, Sep is not causing this. You may need to contact MS Support for resolving this one. I tried to find an article, but was not successful.

• 4.  RE: SEP 11.0.5002 on XP SP3

Posted Jun 23, 2010 03:20 PM
    OPEN task manager
    look for smc.exe
    kill that
    go to servies.exe
    restart symantec service.

• 5.  RE: SEP 11.0.5002 on XP SP3

Posted Jun 23, 2010 07:03 PM

This error is caused by a newly implemented dependency in SEP RU5 and newer releases. As of RU5 SEP clients will depend on the System Event Notification Service being installed and/or running. It sounds as though this is either not installed or has been disabled on this system.

I would check first to ensure that the service is available. You can check this through the system services (services.msc). If the service is disabled, enable, set to automatic and then start the service. Once started attempt to start the SMC service or reboot the system.

If the System Event Notification Service fails to start this would indicate an issue with the operating system. We do have a workaround available, however the document is not public facing. As such if you would like assistance with performing the workaround for the SEP client please call in and open a case. For your convenience your can reference Document ID 2010050317081348 so the technician can easily locate this in our internal knowledge base.

Regards.