Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 11.0.6 install issue

Posted May 03, 2010 06:42 PM
    When trying to install SEP 11.0.6000 I got a message saying "Pending system changes require a reboot have been detected".  The SEP install kept failing.  After updating window software I tried to install again and near the end got error "The wizard was interrupted before SEP install completed".  This message kept appearing after several attempts.  From symantec forum I found document: http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007121609023348. I followed steps 1 thru 9, executed step 3 and 6 exporting.  The install of 11.0.6000 step 9 failed again!  I tried to merge the registry key from step and it wouldn't merge.  Error message said an application was using the key.  HOW do I merge the registry key back into the registry?  This occured three days ago, I waited until Monday to call symantec and the service rep said to go to forum.  I don't know if the registry key under hkey_local_machine/system/controlset002/control/SessionManager/PendingFileRenameOperations is necessary.  I tried following step 10 by double clicking and later right mouse clicking to merge, neither method worked.  I had SEP 11.0.5002 installed.  I just downloaded SEP 11.0.6a but am waiting before installing.  This is the first time in five years that I've had serious issues installing SEP.  I don't understand why symantec released SEP 11.0.6 with issues.  I'm very disappointed!

• 2.  RE: SEP 11.0.6 install issue

Posted May 03, 2010 07:00 PM
    Hello David,

You may post your assistance request to the SEP forum not the Servicedesk one, you may be sure to obtain more help.

Best regardfs,

Fabrice

• 3.  RE: SEP 11.0.6 install issue

Posted May 03, 2010 11:10 PM

No, you don't need this key

Go to Start ---> Run and type %temp%
    Look for the SEP_Inst log file, open it and search for 'return value 3'
    Copy 10-15 lines above it and post here, or you can just paste the entire log

This is not an issue with SEP, it is a check put in place to ensure the system will be stable and other apps not harmed during SEP install. SEP detected a possible issue if it proceeded with the install so it stopped from going any further.

• 4.  RE: SEP 11.0.6 install issue

Posted May 04, 2010 11:14 PM
    Thanks Brian81 for the feedback.  I wasn't sure about the registry key being neccessary.  Glad to hear it isn't.  The PC has been working fine.  I tried checking for the SEP_inst log file but couldn't find it.  The SEP 11.0.6 install didn't finish so I'm thinking that the install log file was removed.  I had uninstalled SEP 11.0.5 using Windows Vista's uninstall program. 

• 5.  RE: SEP 11.0.6 install issue

Posted May 04, 2010 11:26 PM
    Thanks Fabrice.  This is my first time for posting to the forum.  I'm not sure how to post to SEP forum.  I didn't see that choice.  I selected Forums, Endpoint Protection.  Brian81 mentioned that the registry key wouldn't effect the PC, so far I haven't noticed any issue with it.  I'll probably load SEP 11.0.6a which I downloaded today.

• 6.  RE: SEP 11.0.6 install issue

Posted May 05, 2010 12:48 AM
    Delete following folders if present
    C:\Program Files\Symantec
    C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec

Also delete following reg keys
    HKLM\Software\symantec
    HKCU\Software\symantec
    Install SEP and try..

• 7.  RE: SEP 11.0.6 install issue

Posted May 11, 2010 10:44 AM

I found that there was a registry entry that was giving me grief with the install, and here are the instructions that I used to fix the problem.

1. Navigate to:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\PendingFileRenameOperations    
    2. Back up the registry key
    3. Delete the registry key
    4. Install the software without restarting the computer first (Restarting the computer may result in the registry key being placed back in the registry before installation.)
    5. Restore the registry key from the backup location.

NOTE: If you are running  Windows Vista look for this key -  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet001\Control\SessionManager\PendingFileRenameOperations